1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retire ,hope not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Feb 8, 2002.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just wonder how u fellas feel about retireing when u reach say 65. my wife an kids always tellin me to get ready to rest an take it easy. i cant see that. the most miserable men i know are retired men with no reason to get up in the morning.
    for recreation i enjoy fixin things and playin with new tools etc.
    cant imagine it would be much fun to not have nothing be expected of me.in fact that would be a formular for a heart attack or somethin.hope not cancer or alzhiemers etc.just mine ,later now
  2. I won't retire, untill I'm damn good and ready to.

Let alone have someone tell me too.

This is one of those BIZ you can do at an old age, just have to be more carefull and watch what you do more.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would like to "semi-retire". Move to the Santee-Copper area of SC. and work "part time" for one of you southern boys.

Any one near that area???????????

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, do what you like. If you enjoy working, keep working. No reason not to, if you don't mind it.

As for me, I'll be retiring at the first possible moment. The minute my business is big enough to be worth a few million and someone wants to pay me that for it, I will sell it in a heartbeat and retire in luxury.

If that doesn't happen, I'll do like my Grandpa and Uncle did and semi-retire, let the business run itself and just check in from time to time.

To me, work aint fun. Going boating, fishing, traveling, golfing, etc.... That's fun! That's the stuff I could be doing almost every day. And I'd jump at the chance. But that's just me.

We're all different. If you enjoy it, keep at it!
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'll keep working. Seems like over the years most people I know would soon die after they retired.

My dad died just a few months back. He was retired less than 1 year.
  6. I think a lot of oppinion on this subject would be based on how and what kind of situation you was brought up in.

Take my old man: born in occupied France on a farm, second he was able to walk, put to work on the farm. All he has known is nothing but hard work. He won't retire until I put him in the dirt. Nor, do I want him to retire completly. I forgot to mention this, he's in our trade. I've been combining his business with mine, but still has to come out and work. Talking about a man that is 65, has had both hips replaced and looks like his first replacement is failing. He has to be more stubborn than the meanest donkey on this earth.

With that said, If I can find somebody that I can trust and let the business run its self. I'm always going to be working until I can't. How ever, I sure as heck won't be working as hard as I sometimes have to in another 15 years.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think its a darn shame that people cant think of anything to do except work. u work to earn money, if u have enough money, u dont work anymore, dont care how old u r. people are trained to believe that retirement is an age, well, its not, its a state of finance.
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

for a lot of people this business is more then just money, i love going out there and mowing and busting ass doing a landscape job, nothing like lookin back at a nice new landscape u did! for the people that love the field and want something to do, why not hire a person or two or promote someone to manager, u sit in the office and do office work and when u feel like it go out and work? or something to that effect?
  9. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I was forced out of my mgt career 5 years ago, now have a satisfying lawn care business (solo). Goal in life once was to retire at 62, to "enjoy life". Well, now I am 55 and look foward to each day; can't wait for the Spring! Blood pressure is now normal, don't get usual colds and flu now that I work outside. Never been so healthy. The concept of retirment has lost its meaning. If I'm enjoying life now, what else is there?
    My strategy is to work smart, not hard. Always looking for more efficient methods and equipment. (Don't do anything by hand that a machine will do.)
    Will slow down at some point, but that will be my choice. Can't picture ever getting out of bed without having some sort of outdoor work to look forward to.
    Would like to hear from anyone who personlly relates to my situation.
    Wayne O.