1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retired CFO getting into mowing business!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rjgolfer, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Great site! Thanks for all the great info!

I have recently retired as a Chief Financial Officer and also a CPA and ready to start the next chapter of my life! I have always loved the great outdoors and working hard! Put myself through college mowing yards and working on a farm...and now at 50 years old ready to go back outdoors!!

Just trying to soak up as much as I can on this site....!

Lots to do including picking a name and logo for the business....but one question:

Would there be any advantage (or disadvantage) of marketing my experience as financial executive in my flyers....? I am just trying to deliver a message that I understand what it takes to deliver a professional and quality service for a great value to the customer. And NOT some fly by night company. IF there is value in that message I think it makes sense to get it on my flyers.....Thoughts? Thanks!
  2. CPOonfinal

CPOonfinal LawnSite Member
    from FL

I'm not sure I would advertise my executive experience if it were me. From a customers point of view it may seem a little, well, strange. In my estimation, having a GREAT looking set-up (equipment, truck/trailer, logo) with a unique name is more important than anything. JMO. Good luck.
  3. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

JMO...thanks for your comments!! I tend to agree with you...I just want to deliver a message that I am professional and customer focused and will do what I say I will do.....and could easily do that with out referring to my past experience as a CFO...thanks!! And I have a new Tundra and plan on buy some nice trailer and mower....and agree the LOGO will be important as well.

I see you might be a Bronco fan??? Hmmmm love my KC CHIEFS:):)
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think you will give more than you will receive on site here at least until you pull out any remaining hair in frustration.

Your knowledge is much harder to come by than what most here can offer but the camaraderie is good and you can get some good horticulture and irrigation knowledge if you just sift thought the rest of the B/S.

I am curious to see what a fellow with your background decides is a reasonable hourly bill out rate?

Good luck in your new endeavor and welcome to Lawn site.
  5. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I hopefully will soak up as much as I as a NEWBIE!!! My hourly rate is not as important as ENJOYING what I do is now!!!
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Oh please don't be one of those guys, we have enough lowballers out there due to old fashioned ignorance we don't need educated people doing it too. Some people don't have other options to make a living so at least be reasonable for the rest of the industry.

Half heartedly joking...
  7. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

NO WORIES....I won't SCREW up the market with any lowball bids! I just want to enjoy what i am doing. Once a CFO always a CFO...I WILL make money:)
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Im assuming this is going to be a retirement hobby for you?

I cant imagine someone with a background such as yours would choose this field for a money making venture.
  9. rjgolfer

rjgolfer LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Yes somewhat of a hobby.....but still want to make money. Tired of being inside in an office for the last 25 years. I think if I can get 40 accounts this next year I could make some money. Just not really sure if 40 accounts is realistic....really a function of how much time, effort and $$ I put into it. Would love to have about 100 accounts as some point. I have a 21 year old son that has been mowing for 4 years and could use his help if need be.
  10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is a little different in that I'm a little younger than you and I'm not sure if retired is the right word to use. I do have over 20 years experience in IT and I decided to get out. While I can't use the word executive or officer, I can easily demonstrate a certain amount of professionalism and savvy that I acquired from my former profession.

You will find your background to be very useful. You will probably benefit from it everyday planning and operating your business, networking with others and of course talking to customers. It will be evident which of your customers value your past experience.

I would not advertise that on any marketing material. I sends many messages and only one of those I see as beneficial. The number of people who interpret it as beneficial is most likely low. The majority could care less.

Its like the people who put "Christian business" or have the fish sign. Very pointed message that probably annoys most people including Christians. But each of those who use that will argue that it does generate business.

Change your title to CMO and use that :)

my oppinion because you asked.