Retread tires, anybody use them? Where do you find them?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Title says it all folks.
    I'm looking for new rubber for my truck. (99 F-350 SD)
    I use it for plowing too. Call me cheap but the thought of spending big bucks on tires just doesnt sit well with me.
    Especially at this time of year!

2. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I personally think it's cheaper insurance on your part to just buy new tires. I wouldn't trust them. You took my .02

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I think retreads should be banned. Seriously. How many of the treads do you see on the side of the highway? I have been driving next to or behind a big tractor trailer twice when one has come apart and sent pieces flying with enough force to break windows.

Did anyone see the Mythbusters, where the retread decapitated their test dummy? Scary stuff.

4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree with you. BAN THESE PIECES OF SH&T!!!! I did see the myhtbuster thing. Very scary. To the original poster, just think what will happen if one fails on the highway. You only have four tires. Big rigs have two on each corner of the axle. There is redundency. They also NEVER retread front tires. To much stress on them with turning and breaking forces.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Oh looky here more lawn mower guys saying retreads are bad :laugh:

Lets see do you guys drive commercial trucks ?

Do you know that 90% of the road alligators are NEW tires that haven't been maintained.

The biggest problem is lazy slack azz useless fat slob drivers that are too fat and lazy to check the air pressure in their tires. The tires are run soft they overheat the tire comes apart.

You run Bandag,Oliver,Michelin or Goodyear retreads you NEVER have problems with them. You keep the air pressure up and maintain the tires like a NEW tire you never have problems.

We have been running retreads on gravel trucks for decades never had one come apart. The lowbedders that gross 140,000lbs and have 550-600hp Cat power run retreaded drive tires never have any problems. You know what kind of rim pull that puts on a tire when your trying to get a 140,000lb truck rolling.

People that say ban retreads are the people that can't properly maintain a truck. They blame retreads for their pure lazyness.

Better get more info on retreads before you start spouting your mouth off saying they are bad. Just shows that non of you guys have had any experience with retreaded tires. If you think they are bad why are school bus fleets using them for drive tires on busses. Coachlines use them on the big tour busses for drive tires.

As for the original posters question you can buy retreads but your really not saving much money because you can get cheap no name tires cheaper than retreads. You run Bandag retreads the tires will last you 2-3 years because the tread cap is the same tread cap used on commercial transport trucks. The rubber compound is hard so it wears like iron. I have had 16 inch retreads last longer than the sidewalls of the tire. All my trucks have had retreads never had one blow apart.

6. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not an expert but i would agree with Gravel, even though he puts it in such a harsh way. Retreads do not seem to be the problem its more to do with the car of the tire and mythbusters did not test retread i believe they were testing blowouts. But anyways i always wondered were to buy them myself if they were cheaper

7. Gravel Rat

I don't like seeing people say retreads are bad when its truck drivers that don't do proper maintenance. It gives truck drivers that do proper maintenance a bad name. People are already scared of big trucks like tractor and trailers.

Low air pressure in a tire builds heat and heat kills tires. Down in the southern states you notice semis run a highway tread (rib) it runs cooler it doesn't have any lugs. Lugs create rolling resistance which creates heat. When your running on roads that are already hot from the sun. Running on hot pavement already creates alot of heat in the tire couple with that running a already hot running tire you go boom.

I have no experience with asphalt hot enough you could cook a egg on it never gets that hot here.

Older retreads that are still in use really can't handle the heat because the vulcanizing process used back in the early 90s wasn't as good as today.

When Bandag recaps a tire it is X-ray'ed for defects any defects are fixed if it doesn't pass inspection the tire isn't recapped.

The reason why recaps are not used for steering axle use is recaps don't run completely true. They balance up well but you will get a slight wobble in the tire.

For steering tires you don't even use the cheapest new tire. The steering tires on a truck like a medium duty even a 1 ton dually makes or breaks the way the truck handles. You get a dually P/U truck and the owner puts a set of cheap tires on the front the truck will always handle like crap.

You go around a corner and it feels like your riding on mush. A dually diesel eats tires on the front axle. You have 4 tires with lots of power pushing on two tires struggling under the already heavy front end. Doesn't matter if its a Dodge,Ford or Chev dually the diesels are all 900lbs or more.

If your running a truck exclusivily offroad use Bandag recaps. The tread cap makes the tire tough to tread punctures and also survives better to spinning them on a sharp rock.

8. CrystalCreek

I am getting sick and tired of this POS A$$HOLE acting like he knows everything. For your FU%&ING information, I do have a CDL with airbrakes and hazmat and double trailers and also tanker endorsement. I checked my trucks every single day INCLUDING AIR PRESSURES!!!! I have personal had those POS retreads come apart. So stick that up you A$$, and get the FU%K off lawnsite. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME NOR ARE YOUR IDEAS VALUED!!!!

9. Gravel Rat

Hey if you want to say something stupid like Retreads are junk your going to get called on it simple as that.

Hey I have been a member of lawnsite longer than you and have been around heavy equipment longer than you. Do you work with lowbedder and trucks grossing 140,000lbs.

Nothing wrong with retreads its the owner of the trucks. If you took care of your tires you wouldn't have problems with them.

You can spend big money on new tires for your trucks I'am going to run retreads they last just as long. Lets see a brandnew deep lug 11R-24.5 drive tire is over 500 dollars a retread with the same deep lug tread pattern is 350 dollars. So who is the stupid one to spend 500 dollars on a new tire when you can get the same service life out of a retread.

On a gravel truck we only get 8 months out of a set of drive tires doesn't matter if they are virgins or retreads.

Crystal Creek better go take your meds before you have a heart attack :laugh:

Oh ya Crystal Creek have you ever changed tires have you ever worked around a tire shop.

10. CrystalCreek

So if your so great, than why are you spending your time at a site for us low life lawn boys. Get a life and stop starting fights. Maybe you should try positive help. Or get lost. Is everyone in B.C. an a$$hole or just you. And yes, I have changed many tires. But I will bow down because you are God. Happy birthday I guess.