retrodog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddol1971, Jul 10, 2008.

1. toddol1971

toddol1971 LawnSite Member

I'm wanting a bb lightning. Is there a reason to get the 31 kaw over the 26 lc kaw? Also my dealer had a aos with a vert shaft kohler, ever heard of that?:confused: I want to spend 8000 or less. My dealer has the 60/26 for 7700. & a 60/31 for 8200. Also has a 52/26 for 7100. Is this good. I was thinking about the 52/26 cause it would be easier to get in & out of places easier & hoping the fuel consumption would be better than the 31. Also do you think the lc 26 will last longer than the 31 do to running cooler, or will it not matter. If all things were equal I'd spend a little more & get the bigger engine but have a feeling the 26 will last longer & get better fuel consumption. Any & all comments or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks Todd.:usflag:

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The only reason you would go with the 31hp over the 26hp would be power. The 31hp is a big block design, and as such, you're going to use probably twice as much fuel as you would with the 26hp. Longevity would be better on the liquid cooled as well.

All the 2007 and 2008 AOSes are horizontal shaft models, so your dealer must have an old model in stock or something. Unless it's actually the Pup, which is a vertical shaft design.

That 52"/26hp Kawasaki has been a big mover for me. I can't keep them in stock. Good luck with your decision!

3. toddol1971

thanks. I meant to say horizontal sorry. Why are they horizontal, cause the cat is? I think I'm gonna get the 52"/26. I'm gonna order it. I dont think I need the foot assist though. I know where all my crap is in the yard. Think I should still get it? Any other must have items I need? Thanks Todd.

4. tb8100

from TX

Well, most of the mowers in that class are horizontal shaft, I guess because of the diesel engine options. So rather than making two mowers on that platform, one set up for horizontal shaft and one set up for vertical shaft, they go all horizontal. I don't know if that's true, but I bet it is.

The foot assist is only $180. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have. It's up to you though! If you think that's not a good way to spend your money and want to spend it elsewhere, like use it toward a string trimmer, do so!

The Advanced Chute OCDC is a great thing to have if you discharge alot (especially in residentials). The mulch kit is great if you need to mulch. The flat free front tires are good to have. They're foam-filled, and since the mower has 4 wheel suspension and the suspension seat, you wouldn't feel the effects of the rougher ride as much. Headlights are nice to have if you do any mowing early or late. The basket is super cool for carrying stuff around. The MoJack is great to have on hand too.

5. tb8100

from TX

The turbo precleaner really is a must, and the hitch might be if you pull alot of stuff. Your call there.

6. toddol1971

That turbo pre cleaner is really that good huh? Its not that much. I got the advanced chute cause around cars & houses I can flip it down & not break windows & chip paint. I ordered the 52/26 with air tires. I'm gonna have amerseal put in them. I was wondering about the basket. Looks real handy, but my concern was what if you had it full of stuff would it block some of the air getting to the LC engine? The dealer doesnt have a basket on anything so I'm just looking at the catalog. I thought about the lights, but dont really think I'll need them. I'm undecided on the foot assist though, I can always get it later. I got the hitch just in case I ever need it. I would like to thank everyone that helped me out. I looked at scagg & exmark. I liked the scagg alot but ruled it out the day I was there due to #1 sticker shock & #2 dealer was just to small. He had 1 scagg there a tt. I bought the lightning over the exmark because it was heavier built & cheaper. My dealer is also 15 min away instead of an hour & a 1/2 for the exmark. I love how the whole BB swings open for service, & man is that seat nice. Thanks Todd.

7. tb8100

from TX

The turbo precleaner is good, not as a power-adder, but as an additional phase in filtration. It can be added on in 15 seconds just by popping it in place of the rain cap.

The basket is really handy, but you're right, some airflow would be blocked from the radiator. Not enough to affect performance I wouldn't think, since the basket doesn't cover the whole compartment though.

The foot assist cannot easily be added after the fact. I hear it's around 4 hours labor or so. You should still have time to have them add it on.

We sell Scag and Bad Boy side by side, and frankly, both are really good machines. Alot of my customers have the sticker shock looking at the Scags, but the money is not just in the name. The Scags are very well made and have a few things the Bad Boys don't have, but the Bad Boys have a few things Scag doesn't have, and I really like the 4 wheel suspension. The ride is AWESOME with that Michigan seat.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have run the Lightening, always get the foot assist anytime you can on any mower. This gives you a quick option to get the deck up on ditches or uneven terrain you cross much quicker. I personally would not be without ability to raise my deck in an instant if need be. You will never regret it, and that is cheap to have the best of both worlds.

9. toddol1971

Thanks. My dealer said that bb is gonna stop installing the foot assist at the factory level & start having the dealers do it. He said when he talked to the rep he said it slows the assembly time down to much. I have a hard time believing that. My dealer was not trying to get out of anything either. He told me that after I told him that I read on here that future bb were all gonna come with foot assist. He said no way. Then he told me about what I posted. I may get it & put it on. Its not that expensive.

10. tb8100

from TX

There's a component they MUST install at the factory unless you want to spend 5 hours installing it. Once the factory does this (and they have no issue installing a foot assist at all), the dealer only has to take 20 minutes to install the actual pedal assembly. Have him call my cell phone if he thinks this can't be done and I'll be happy to explain it to him- 817.776.1549.

-Tim