Return envelope with billing statement???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Mar 4, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

First of all, I don't have any problems collecting payments from customers so this is not the issue at hand. I am just trying to get a consensus here. Here are a couple of questions, tell me what ya think.

How many use the double window envelopes when sending billing statements?

How many mail a return envelope for the customers to mail back their payments?

I was visiting a "Nebs" related site that offered both types of envelopes for a decent price (1000 each for a total of around $100). Even though it's not necessary, I thought that this would look very professional, save time and speed up the payment process. More than likely I will use the double window envelope for mailing statements (this alone should cut my time in half) and not use the "return payment" envelope this year.

What do ya think?
    MATT

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I use a single window envelope for mailing statements and put an address label on for my return address. Seemed like the double window envelopes were a lot more expensive.

I also enclose a return envelope in the statement. I just put an address label on a smaller envelope (#9) and enclose it.

Anything to make it easier for the customer to send back the check.

I got my envelopes at Office Max or Office Depot, don't remember for sure, but seems like they were a lot cheaper than 2,000 for $100. Like I said, the double window adds a lot to the cost.

3. CCLS

CCLS LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I enclose a return envelope with my statements. This does seem to speed up the payment process and cuts out addressing mistakes. Plus customers do appreciate it. I think it is worth the extra money I have to spend.

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I to enclose a return envelope I think it does speed up the payment process. plus if your billing program puts return address on there payment stub for a windowed envelope makes it that much faster. I started this last year and I seemed to receive payments at least 4 to 5 days faster then I did without them.

here is where I get mine they have a deal going on now buy two get one free thats 1,500 for $50 so for the 2 sizes needed around $100 for 3,000. im not sure this a in store deal or just online

http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...es&expansionOID=-536892827&prodBlockOID=47054

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks Harry, that sounds like a better deal than what I saw.

MATT

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Time is money and or energy. We go double window, no printing, no labels and a self addressed return with barcode on it. We get them printed locally for less than NEBS.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use double window envelopes from Staples. And I also include a return envelope that I print myself on my printer.

8. sunrise

sunrise Banned

we use double window and send a return enevlopes also in the statement. just in case they forget the address. haha

9. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

No envelopes, return envelopes, labels, invoces to fold, envelopes to stuff or seal and 23 cents to mail an invoice. I set up a data base and customized it to include beyond the obivious of addresses: month I'm billing for, start and end dates of the service agreement, additional services, invoice number. Each post card is perforated down the center. Customer keeps half and returns half with payment in their own envelope with their own stamp. The downfall to this system is that it is not connected to QuickBooks and I must enter the monthly AR manually, however since I only am required to handle exceptions (12 month pay plan) when a customer has extra work done that changes the monthly payment and I can changes fields with only several keystrokes (changes the month from Jan to Feb for 130 customers with 4 keystrokes) I still save time with the manual AR entry. When I work diligently I can bill in less than 90 minutes.

The most difficult task in setting this up was getting into the printer software and reconfiguring one of the page set up options to define a new page selection for the printer. The printer is a tractor feed type so if there are any foul ups during printing, I know exactly which invoice it stopped on. No double checking required to make sure they all printed out.

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the single window 10s with 9 inside. My invoice is perforated at the bottom. They tear it off and it has my address that fits in window. I am considering printing out invoices 1 week early and leaving it door bag to save stamps this year.

Mark