Returning Customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mad_Russian776, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

How do you all renew your customers each year? I've called and left messages on a few who have not returned my call. When should i call the second time?...I don't want to come across as a telemarketer.

Is there any other ways you all contact or stay in contact with customers, for purposes of renewing services, other than calling them?

Thanks

2. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

i always keep in touch with all my customer during the off season, by xmas cards, calls to see if they need anything, snow removal, they al seem to like it showing integrity and loyalty to them, always works

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Service is renewed from year to year unless notified by client to stop service. I can not figure out for the life of me why you guys make the customer re-hire you every year.

Just put in your agreements, contracts (whatever you use to outline your work, and each parties responsibilities) that it is recurring year to year unless notified of termination of service. You might want to add a few things to keep you current such as prices may increase by x% each year etc.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i shy away from until further notice contracts. every spring (march) i send out current year contracts for the upcoming season. it gives you the opportunity to add any new clauses to proposals, list price increases, and its a way to keep in touch. i also stick a spring letter in with it suggesting now is a great time for other work, tree removal, brush clearing, and its almost time for mulch. it helps get the ball rolling in the slow season by getting it on the minds of customers.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You can always update any agreement when necessary. By making it recurring you have your bases covered until you can get in contact with them and get the new agreement signed.

It's just to easy for a customer to back out if you make them re-hire you each year. Plus it's a headache waiting for the last minute contract returns.

6. ccash

ccash Banned

I show up every year unless there is a Written cancellation with 30 days notice.

7. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i do a little of what everyone said, you can get a feel for your clients needs or wants.. i have it stated in my contracts that it will auto renew annually, unless notified, and i have the right to make changes to the price stucture. however, i do sent out letters to all those i am unsure of, or atleast all my newer clients until we see eye to eye so to speak... this year i have only had to send out 10 notices for the people that i am unsure of or for the people with a price increase. it seems to be working out well, with not many cancellations on the clients behalf. there were two reasons i started to do this,

1 because it got to be to much every year to send out all those letters and wait for them to return, spring/ fall(for plowing) Then you put your ad in the paper thinking you need more work, and all your clients finally contact you at the last minute.

AND 2 because ive had clients move over the off season and not tell me, one month later i send invoices out and i get a calls from the new owner, i was wondering who mowed my lawn all month.. the ones that called paid the ones that didnt call, never paid...

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

My wife sends out a letter saying that spring is just around the corner and this years specials bla bla bla..... see sends this in feb. then we just show up 90% of the customers we have, have been with us since day 1

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When you get them under contract a monthly visit is included to tidy up whatever needs to be done....we just keep going unless we hear from them to stop service. Never want to talk to anybody that keeps the money rolling in...oh forgot they are paying every month during the winter.