1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Returning Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by troblandscape, Feb 4, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

In the years past I had a 48 Hour rule, just because when I am out working a long day, the last thing I feel like doing is making calls when I get home As I think about what I can do to improve for this season I am going to try to take the call as it comes in instead of letting the machine pickup. I will have my calls fowarded to my cell.

What do you do?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

This is what I do:

1st: I give my customers all of the numbers and emails where they can reach me at

2nd: I have my secretary answer the phone when possible

3rd: When we take a lunch break I come back to the office and see if I have to return any calls, which I do so at that time before I head back out

4th: I will call into the office usually about 3 times a day to check and see if anyone has called that I have to call back immediately

Finally: I return phone calls within 24 hours. Customers don't like to be left in the dark.
  3. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

As a solo operator, my cell is my main phone and it's always on me. If I can hear or feel (vibration) it ring and I'm not running a mower or trimmer, I'll answer it. I always keep a little spiral binder in my back pocket to take information.

4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Usually my wife is in the office and answers the phone. If she knows I am in the area, she calls me on the radio and I deal with the call as soon as I can. Other times I have my office # call forwarded to my cell. I check it 3 times a day and deal with most estimates/other calls on the way home. Any calls that come in after 5:30 pm I usually leave for the next day. After a long day I don't feel like taking any more calls.
  5. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We respond to the call the same day. Most of our customers are commercial accounts so we make every effort to provide prompt service.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have my cell number on my business line so a customer can get a hold of me immediately. I return all calls the day they were left for me.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Call forward to the Cell ... ALL calls returned SAME Day

2 Years ago ... I had it set up with all calls going to the shop n if some-one was there or even the machine picks up n I check in couple times day ....

Just so happens I'm in the shop Saturday doing some work on personal stuff (not work related) n I check the machine from an earlier message in the AM ..... which is a commercial bid ..... I call back to get their machine .... leave message ..... later no return call so I call back 8AM Monday n the bid was already awarded ....bout a mid fiq 4 digit monthly income (town-home complex of 15 buildings)

So now I leave the cell on n catch most calls when they come in (except Sunday I don't do nothing work related Sunday) .... we do a large commercial storage across from that Town home community ... same company still does that job ....that was a sweet one to let get away
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am a solo op. I have my cell as my main phone, 95% of my customers know that to reach me the cell is the best way. I have a pager they can use for emergencies. I have some older customers (seniors) that just won't call it they think its long distance I guess. I can call my answering machine and retreive messages anytime I want I usually check it in between jobs. I try to return calls ASAP. I don't like to keep my customers or potential customers waiting.
  9. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

Hey there,

Most of my customers know how to reach me. I have 3 emails an office phone home phone and a cell phone as well as a pager. i 've told my customers if i don't return you message within 8 hrs consider me dead.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I leave the cell right in the ahsetray (dont smoke), and I can check msgs in between sites so that if a call needs to be returned asap I can probably get back to them w/in 20 mins of their call.

I think that if you let calls ride for more than THAT biz day as Steve said its easy to have opportunity pass you by!!