"Returning The Edge" <):^):~

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to bring an edge(where grass meets cement) back up to par after it has been flattened by a vehice or whatever else???

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think we're on the same page but, I'd just edge it again, no?

:)

3. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Good question vibe Ray, i have been getting ready to ask the same question. My client has had a guy cut his grass and used to edge with a trimmer. The edge is now back about 2" off the concrete and looks aweful. All you can see is 2" od soil before the grass starts. I was wondering if it will grow back and recover in the spring or if theres something i should do?

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

sorry about the other post, now I'm on the same page!! ;)

Try sod if its a large gap, if not, seed should take pretty well.

Sod will give you that instant gratification that the customer always likes though!

Good Luck!

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Fix it like a divot on a golf green.
    Maybe a pitch fork.

6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Yes u could simply just edge it, but it would not look any good because a part would be flattened and the other part would be raised about 2 inches.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

It will comeback on it's own over time. If it is a really healthy lawn that has been fertilized alot, it will grow out alot faster than one that is not. If the client cannot wait, seed it or sod it, otherwise, just back off the edging for a while and let the rhizomes do their thing.

8. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

vibe ray from what I could under stand from your post is that the sod has been mashed down by tires not cut away from edge by weadeating if this is so use sand to raise the elevation this stays loose and allow the sod to grow quickly and come back to the proper elevation

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with skookum. Let nature run its course and in about 4 weeks your back on the drawing table.

Best of luck.
    kris

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Opps, I am a goof, I lost the track of the thread starter and followed the later posts.

If the edge is lost due to equipment running over edge and smashing it down, it sounds as though maybe the ground is higher than the concrete. If so, a good mechanical edging will bring the edge back by cutting the dirt back again. But, if equipment is run over the ground, right on the edge alot in the future, it will happen again.

Properties I have had like this are usually very soggy when the edge will smash and push the dirt back out over the concrete over a few mowings. Try to watch the ground conditions as you mow. Use the other side of the deck mowing in the other direction if this helps move the tire further away from the edge.

Hope this is better answer to suit the problem.

[Edited by Skookum on 01-07-2001 at 10:48 AM]