1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reusing Welsh plugs or not

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have been glueing them back in place. Today when I reopened one the loctite was all loose. Those two holes were made to get it out.
    Can you order welsh plugs?

2. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

You can't reuse than as when you punch them to fit you spring them. They come in the rebuild kits. I have hundreds in my shop!!!
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Funny how you can miss someth ing obvious. I went out and looked at my box of repair kits and they were in the kit.:dizzy: I guess you put them in place and softly tap on center to seat them in place?
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Ed, both Zama and Walbro have staking tools available, shaped according to the shapes of the welch plugs--removal tools are included. I got by without them for several years but they are convenient. They are a bit pricey but amortized over the years, they're not a bad investment. Their metering lever height adjustment tools are handy as well.
  5. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

Agreed with Dutch, get the proper punch kit. But you can use a regular round punch or flat screw driver if needs be. Give them a swift knock, but don't go nuts.
  6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

With Zamas, just make sure you get the "RB" (Rebuild) kit instead of the GND (Gasket and Diaphragm) kit. I believe they come with the RB kits.

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

The bigger question is (or should be), who would even THINK about re-using them small welch plugs??? And why would you remove em in the first place?
  8. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

Sometimes there is gunk in there that you can't soak out unless you pull the plugs.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I try to repair stuff rather than replacing. I have an interest in keeping expenses down. And I have been replacing them for years but lately the adhesive is turning into gu, so I was looking for some help.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would also use an automotive thread locker rather than that glue. Automotive thread lockers are resistant to fuel and oil. Apparently that glue isn't.