Revenge at customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, May 15, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I read a few comments in another thread regarding round-up bombs and grass seed bombs as possible revenge tactics on customers who wronged you in some way. I wanted to make a few comments on this thinking.

For one, revenge is almost always a bad idea. Your time and mental energy is wasted on something totally unproductive and you don't acheive your desired results.

Personally, I believe in God's law of cause and effect. Some people call it Yin / Yang. Whatever. Point is, I believe people will get what's coming to them regardless of whether you give it to them or not. But some people don't have that kind of faith. So....

If you feel you MUST get revenge and do it in a destructive way, at least don't be so stupid as to do something regarding landscaping. I mean, Round-up bombs? "Gee, I wonder which of the people I pissed off threw an herbicide in my yard. Hmmm..." It makes you the obvious culprit.

Instead, do something that isn't related to landscaping. Buy some fox urine (sold at sporting and hunting stores) and inject it into their car door with a surrenge. They'll be smelling that for months wondering where it's coming from!
    No, just kidding. Anyway. Point is, revenge is no good. It lowers us to their level. And although I've felt these same feelings (evil thoughts of cassaron bombs still enter my mind from time to time and I've seriously pondered the fox urine idea), I have never acted on them. I don't believe the destruction of another person's property makes things right. Next time you feel like this, give it a month and see if you still feel the same.

My revenge to all of the people who abused us, took advantage of us, or wronged us in some way, is to become the best and most well-respected landscape company in the area. All the while, them knowing we'll never work for them.

I had one client who screwed us over one year. Then had the nerve to call us next spring for service again. I politely told her that we would not be working for her again. We still work for most of her neighbors and they are very pleased with our work. I love driving by that house. I get a big grin every time!

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

As usual Jim excellent post. I have one guy that has never paid me ($115) and I can't honestly say the thought has not crossed my mind. :D I have not took such actions, and even though we had a contract, the $115 is simply not worth wasting my time.

Prior to my dad's passing he got great satisifaction telling the new lawn guys about this customers failure to pay, I know he went through 3 in one year. I agree, it would be a no brainer on who damaged the lawn.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Kriby. Hey, I just went to check out the photos of your truck and trailer. Those are very nice!

But I don't get it. Where do you put the grass, debris, etc.? Under the canopy?

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Don't do grass clippings, any big debris jobs are hauled in trailer, bigger get hauled in the dump trucks. I have a good friend who owns several Bob-Cats & dump trucks, I also have an open trailer also for spraying and small landscaping jobs.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

There is a saying, Kill them with kindness. Very good post. I loved reading that, kinda made me laugh when he started to say, take some fox urine.... and then said no just kiddin.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You do right.............God see's it.
    Someone does you wrong.............God see's it.
    You do them wrong in return.........God see's it.

I wouldn't do anything I'm gonna have to answer for one day.

Now fartin' on a customer????????????? God might have gotten a laugh out of that one too!:angel: Maybe........just maybe.......that's how we're supposed to "vent".:rolleyes:

7. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

While it may not be moral or ethical to do something like this, but man would I feel better!

:laugh:

8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

Kirby don't feel bad, I have roughly a little over 2 grand that hasn't been paid this year.......I do most everything on a monthly contract, which is why, but services started in the middle of March, and I haven't been paid by them either....After May, I'm going to get pissed if I don't get paid, by that time, I would have about 3 thousand owed by 2 clients......

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I was screwed over this year as well. I sent a bill for $125 and the customer waited, and waited, and waited some more. I called them up and asked if they got their bill, they said yes and said they would send it out the next day. Here we are, 2 weeks later, and still no bill. Cassaron bomb, here I come!

Just Kidding! ;)

10. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think that many people like to think the thought. I have had many thoughts over the years, ways to get even; I never acted on any of them. It is just a natural stress reliever to think of these things. I really doubt if many actually act them out.