Revenue Expectations for a One Man Show

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Russo, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't find this on search.

I've read a bunch of posts discussing the NUMBER of accounts that solo guys produce, but all job sizes are different. My question is...

Any advice you feel should coincide with a response would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Landscraper.
  2. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

My first year I sold 25k Year 2 32k and this year expected to sell 40k.
    I not only sell maintenence but installations and constrution as well. It all depends on how many hours you are willing to work.
    Its easy for me no wife or kids so I can go dark to dark.

MARYLANDMOWER LawnSite Member

If you grossed $40,000 a year, what do net? It hardly seems worth it.
  4. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

That's my concern, marylandmower. Can one man ( me ) produce enough on his own? Seems like even 60 k wouldn't turn an operating profit that paid more than a decent day job. Somebody, please prove me wrong with your experiences.

I'm assuming that a solo would have no other job and is willing to work about 60 hrs / during season. Mowing as primary service, and about 30% extra srevices like pruning, install and mulch.
  5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

SO QUITE!!!! go work at wal-mart

Hey Lanscraper,
    I did around 50K last year part-time, with one very part-time helper. I also do snow removal, which has not been much. I am not familiar with your market, but if you are willing to work 60 hrs a week like you say, and you are not a lowballer you should be able to make a nice living. If you are a young guy and can afford to go for it, just remember you can always go out a get a "regular job" if things don't work out. Live the dream!!!! By the way I netted around 35k. That's better than most full-time jobs unless you have a good education.
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

basically seems like you are wondering if you can make a living at this solo.

without getting into specifics, such as price, hours worked, etc, you can do quite well solo. we run crews without z's, but if your solo and have a z, i can see clearing $30 000 as not being a prob. I would believe $50 000 is feasible profit if you are in a year round market, or snowplow. and remember, if you snowplow really you are working only 3/4 of the year out in the field.

work like a dog, one truck, maybe with a helper and over $50 000 possible. of course you must build up to this.

and you dont have a boss to answer to.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And that's not to mention that that is working 7 - 8 months out of the year. If you do it right, you can use this time off to your advantage. Vacation, etc. Some of us, yes, go a little stircrazy, and opt to do something else during the winter, but that's o.k.., too. This is the time, for instance, that the church KNOWS I'm available to help out with things, so there's no getting out of it!:rolleyes: :D Anyway, like any other contractor(cement, or otherwise,) we have to budget and make way. It isn't too bad, though.;)

Very good point about the 7-8 months a year. I did not even think about that, because I still have to go to my "other" job the rest of the year.
  10. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I have about 100 that I answer to!:p