Revenue projection in lieu of drought

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by down to earth lawn, Oct 27, 2007.

1. down to earth lawn

down to earth lawn LawnSite Member

I am finishing my second full year of cutting this year. I am in northeast AL which is the worst drought area in the nation. I am part time with about 16 regular customers (only one on 12 month contract). I have a good level head and business plan to go full time next year, but the drought is expected to carry through the winter and then who knows. My question is for those of you who have been through this. Should I hold back going full time, or keep to my plan. I am currently turning away business because I can't juggle any more (part time). I believe I have realistc revenue goals, but am not sure now that the drought looks to have severe effects on the area.

2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm, David and I were just discussing this kind of fortune telling. You are just going to have to really look at your plan. Look at the jobs you're turing down. Are they lucritive and long term?

I don't know the answer to your quandry, but I will tell you this. Drought happens. David's first year was 2000 and it was the middle of a drought. The next couple years were good and then drought again.

And even when "they say" it's supposed to be worse next year. "They said" we were going to have a horrible hurricane season, too. So we can't base our plans on weathermen.

If you've got a good level head, I suppose you will make a good decision and make it successful despite the weather.

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Down to earth-

Do you offer additional services, beyond a standard mowing program?

We also suffered with a drought spell this summer (not comparable with AL at any rate, but a bad one none the less). We offer pretty much every service imaginable from hardscape, to landscape, to maintenance.

Our dry spell lasted from mid June through late August. I had a heavily booked schedule for landscaping and hardscapes for the summer. During that dry time I pulled guys from mowing routes to help out on the installs/maintenance. We got ahead on the other work and that allowed us to take on more projects at the end of the summer and into early fall.

When grass started growing again in early September, I put all of my mowing guys back on their regular routes and we were back in step with our normal routine.

In short, if you offer other services, many of them can be done during an extended period of dry weather. Which may keep your head from swirling in the toilet, so to speak.

Good luck