Revenue $'s per hour

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kawizx62003, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

So when people in the industry say "you should be making around X amount of dollars in revenue per hour", does that mean solo or a crew? Lets pretend the industry average is $100 an hour, gross revenue. (Yes I am using an outrageous number to not let the thread go to a dollar amount argument). Let s say that I am a newbie in a metropolitan area. I want to serve the entire metro area so I start from the beginning doing that to get that brand recognition rolling. I am obviously losing a bit due to the dreaded "windshield time". I know this will improve over time. Anyway, lets say Im only making $75 an hour in gross revenue. Should I be disappointed? Should I assume my pricing is too low? OR by next year when its a crew (2) and I know that will bump up the revenue per hour to $100, thats whats important?

This boils down to me questioning my pricing. I want to have everything worked out by next year. This season is going great but want to fix as much as I can NOW.

2. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

Per man hour....so take you 100$ per hour. If you have 5 bodies on a property that took 1 hour to do the job you would bill for 5 man hours
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kawizx62003

Thanks so does that mean if I have a crew of two people in a mowing truck they should be making $200 in revenue per hour? This example is using $100 per hour as industry-standard for an example.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Kawizx62003

Really leaning towards mowing in this thread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing generally isn't that high. We are at $76 pr man hour

And yeah you bill for each man pr hr. A lawn that takes 30 mins with two people should be billed at an hour
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend expanding from mowing. Mowing is really the bottom of the barrel and anyone can do it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

I charge a flat rate for lawn cutting and some clean-ups. My hourly rate is a man hour rate so if I have 2 people on the crew its the man hour rate x 2, 3 people...man hour rate x 3 etc etc.

You should first figure out what your costs are then you can figure your hourly rate.

8. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. And no you shouldn't be disappointed in what your making counting drive time as long as your hitting your targeted gross or slightly exceeding it while on site. Your route isn't going to be as tight when you first start as it should/will be three years down the road. On most of my jobs I'm grossing $50 an hour on site, factor in drive time as my accounts are strung out across town and my gross drops to about $25 an hour. As time goes we will pick up more business in the neighborhoods we service and our gross will rise as our route gets tighter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

well if that dont get your day off right, nothing will:eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. Kawizx62003

This answer seems to be inline with my question. I understand hourly rates. My question is more of where I should be after drive time. So when in done at the end if the day I take my gross divided by hours from shop to shop. This drops it dramatically. Yes on site I am within industry averages but then it cuts in half almost after drive time. I think it's just for now. Just worries be a little. I'm here to stay and make it. I also disagree respectfully about mowing. I'm doing well with it. I also do other things but mowing will be the bread and butter for now. I'm in a great market and that makes all the difference plus tight routes plus other overhead lowering strategies.
    Posted via Mobile Device