"reverse-assist"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oneEXMARKfan, Apr 24, 2001.

1. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Just out of curiosity, would there be any way to make the reverse better on the Metro's? (to tell the truth I did wonder what exactly "reverse assist" meant before I bought my Metro HP, and after I bought it my dealer told me. (and gave me some advise "try not to get into a situation where you need to back-up") Was just looking at it the other day, and wondering if there was a way to make it better (seems if there was another idler on the bottom side of the belt) Not that I ever use/need reverse....just in therory!

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had a metro and you have to keep the belts very tight to have any hope of a reverse. newer belts grip better as well. dave

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a Metro HP and was very disappointed with it when I first got it due to the lack of reverse. I have learned not to get into a sitsuation that I need it though, and if I do need to back up, I just sqeeze the pistol grips to nuetral, pull back on the heavy piece and go on my way. It took some time to get used to, but now its second nature. I haven't enganged it more than 5 times the whole time I've owned it.

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

In the manual it say it does 3.1 mph (4.99km/h) in reverse.
    I guess it would depend on what hill it's going down (I know how it "free wheels" in any forward gear down a hill) or how fast your pulling it back...but I do love my Metro, regardless! :)

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You would need to have 2 tension idlers. One for the top and one for the bottom. Tension idlers are the pulleys that move when you pull the levers in.

When power is applied to the belts (you let the levers out) tension is applied to the belts via the spring on the tension idler. The problem is the springs holding tension need to be relatively weak so that you can pull the levers in to begin with. Because of the weak spring and due to torque being applied to the belts there is only enough spring tension to tighten the belt on the idler side. This works well as long as you're going forward. When you put the tranny in reverse the power is going the other way but the problem is now you need tension on the bottom of the belt and since there's no tension idler there to take the slack out of the belt it slips.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about watch the idlers as you are making turns and going up and down hills. You will see that they rarely don't move up and down. Or, while the mower is not running put the mower in gear and push it forward. Then look and see how much slack is in the bottom of the belt.

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the main reasons I only own hydros. Instant reverse.

7. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

i have a toro belt drive, i can back up hills all day

8. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

The added cost might be around $50.00 for a reverse assist. Is this something you would pay for? Is this something that you get used to?

How important is this?

Barry

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you upgrade to Hydrostatic you will not only have improved performance but true reverse as well.

Worked for me.
    Kris

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I put a Toro T bar on my 52 Lesco goes backwards see your
    toro dealer the Toro fixed deck 48 same as the Exmark