1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reverse hose?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Apr 13, 2008.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have a silly question; I have a 3 yr old skid sprayer with the 1/2ID yellow hose, 300'. I have several spots where the hose has kinked repeatedly, so the hose is prone to kinking in these spots. All these spots are within 50-60' of the gun end, they have become weak. I am wondering if it would be advantageous for me to reverse my hose, so the gun end became the end attached to the reel. Anyone ever do this? Did it help? I can't imagine it wouldn't, the last 100' on the reel only comes off for 4 or 5 lawns each round.

Thanks for any feedback.:waving:
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i put in a splice and have them crimped by a shop that makes hoses'. like napa or a hydrolic shop. cheaper then a hose, cost like $5 for everything
  3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

done it before, adds life to the hose. plus it also helps the situation with ompressing the hose that is near the start of the reel.
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

As long as the hose isn't so weak in those spots that there is a good chance the hose will burst from just normal operating pressure, you should be fine. I've done it before with no problems at all. It's a great way to get a little more use out of a well used hose. Sounds like this will be about the last season for your hose. Been there, done that. Shouldn't be any problems.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I just found those 10' hoses on sale at Home Depot and connected a whole bunch of 'em together. It leaks like crazy, but waaaaay cheaper than a new one. Besides, my trucks old and rusty anyhow, so the stains don't show up too much.
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Should be a easy fix. You may have to "retrain" your hose through a few uses to get it to roll back on the reel properly. I always use what I called a "leader-hose" to make the connection between the main spray hose and the spray gun. Its a more flexible hose of the same ID/OD and makes spraying a little easier since there is less resistance in the rapid back and forth motion you have to do several thousand times a day in making apps. I rarely use worm-type clamps as they are prone to leaking (even stainless) and prefer the "bandit" style crimp clamps and keep several in the trucks. They are more difficult to work with in the field as they require a hacksaw for removal but they rarely need that as almost never leak.
  7. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I like the leader hose idea. Agree with the band clamps too. I take my hoses to a hydraulic shop where they have a machine for installing them. They charge me a couple dollars per clamp but they outlast the hose with zero problems. I still carry the portable band-it tool in case of emergency but never use it.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO Splices in any hose cause problems of all sorts. leaks are only one problem. Pulling or rewinding hose, a splice can get caught on anything.

I have changed hose reels and reversed the hose with no problems.
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

"Pulling or rewinding hose, a splice can get caught on anything."

That may be true if you leave the gun at the end of your pull. That's why I mandate the gun be returned to the truck prior to the hose being wound back into the real. This also prevents potential damage to the gun or fasteners being pulled off. Watch the hose carefully as it is wound into the reel helps minimize potential issues with the hose and gun. Allow the gun to twist as it returns, prevents "birdnesting" or loops in the hose. Since bandit style clamps have a relatively smooth surface compared to the worm or screw style, its a rare occasion when they hang up on any object and cause any damage.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about you, but I always end with the Gun-wand at the truck. I would never try and drag the gun-wand across a yard. I also like to rewind my hose the same as a level wind fishing reel. I use a wet rag to hold the hose as it rewinds and guide a level wind. A splice would tear my hand. I feel care and replacement of equipment is only one step in doing professional work. A spliced hose is worn out equipment in my mind. The last time I bought hose 3/8 id 300 ft was only $ 200. What would it cost if your splice broke and you shot or dripped staining Iron on your customers driveway?? Penny wise is most times pound foolish. Just my humble opinion