1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reverse septic line effect?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, we have all seen it. Faster growing greener grass over a septic system.

But has anyone ever seen a reverse effect over the lines?
    Where the grass is first to burn and brown out over the lines in dry weather.

I have a few theories as to 'why' but I do not want to lead off the discussion with them and have people agree with me because I might be totally wrong.

So what theories do you guys have about this?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

yes lines are shallow and/or the water thats in the ground leaches into the lines and is no longer available for the grass to use
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good one, and I gotta admit, not something I had thought of.

So you are saying there is actually less soil moisture over the trenches right now than there is out away from it? Water level receeds and leaches down deeper, drying the root zone.

Sharp observation.

I should add that this is the first time I have ever been able to see any sort of visible difference in the turf in this area. This is the first time I have been able to tell it was there in any way at all.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats what I'm saying, just the oposite of what happens most times but if you have been having any kind of extended or low amout of rainfall, it will have a wicking affect and suck the moisture out of the soil and into the lines.

Not all septics systems are the same do you know what kind it is ? does it have many lines IE 6-12 lateral lines or is it an aireation system with mostly 1 long line. Its usually the former that I will see this problem. The solution is to water more outsise or inside and then flush after each use :D
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

agreed Mac,
    or one other big possible is the number of people in the home, less wash, less showers, less dishes, less sewage all adds up to less supply to the leach field
    add to that a very dry year and the stones let the moisture right on through.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

See that all the time.

builders here just barely dig a hole deep enough for the tank and leachfield the back fill with 1 inch or less of soil.

The leach field is essentially a wick. It draws moisture from high concentration to low concentration. If your water useage for showering is low and very little rain, the leach field will pull water out of the soil. If the top os the tank is 3" thick cement, it will act as a heat sink and radiate heat out during the night to further dry the area / reduce the amount of due over the tank.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Of course, the homeowners could also have a meth lab.