Reversing a Toro 36" T-bar Gear drive..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vikings, May 29, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I just got my Toro and it's my first wb.. When I reverse it pulls to one side a lot. Is there a better way to control this?

I did manage to figure out how to steer it going forward.. it's a little tricky and with the gear shift, it's kind of a pita. And there's no owners manual just a parts book. It has for spacers and I want to lower the blades a bit.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You should get the owner's manual. Why did it not come with it?

3. Vikings

from canada

I actually asked for it, the mower was outside when I went to pick it up. He went inside and gave me the plastic bag full of booklets and a rubber tube for the oil. I didn't actually check the contents till I got home and couldn't figure some things out.

btw, my response now to that thread about ramps and walk behinds.. I cannot use normal ramps with this 36" wb, it gets hung up so I'm looking at a little trailer.

Man I can't wait to buy a velke though. This thing goes walking on gear 1 and gear 5 it wants to take off on me, lol.

I do kind of wish i had the instant reverse that is on the quick 36 though.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You need to go back to the dealer and let him know that you didn't get the owner's manual. He should be a able to get one for you.

I wouldn't want to try to load a belt drive in the back of a truck using ramps. Some people just don't want to understand.

Getting some wheels to ride on is the only way to go, makes it so much easier.

An instant "true" reverse would be nice, but you'll get used to it in no time.

5. Attorney-at-Lawn

Attorney-at-Lawn LawnSite Member

You will probably smack yourself after reading this! The owner's manual should be located in the attached black tube located underneath the handle assembly! They keep it on the machine so that you always have it in the field. Good luck.

6. Vikings

from canada

I tried to open that "black tube" but it was mofo HOT! I kept burning my hands. I went to get some leather gloves but after a few minutes they were burning as well...

Just kidding:laugh: I found it. Thanks.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Mine does it too, you just have to be careful about the pressure you apply to each side. For the most part unless it is on an incline I just muscle it.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Can't you adjust the belt tension a little bit on either side to straighten the tracking out? That's what i can do on my eXmark belt drive

9. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

i run the 40" Toro tbar. I've found that you have to very gentle (apply soft even pressure on both sides of the tbar) when going in reverse. learned that the hard way after busting a fence!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're not supposed to back up a Wb is the easiest way, never get yourself in that pickle, these are lawn mowers and not cars, but seriously the best way is to never get yourself where you have to back up...

If you do, several options:
    1) Manhandle it, I find this the fastest, just pull it back via the fixed bar and turn it around all in one quick motion.
    > This is probably the best way to remember what I just said about not getting into that pickle :laugh:

2) The T-bar has a bar underneath as well, you pull BACK and kinda up on this instead of pushing forward on the top, and that tends to work sometimes but don't pull but so hard.

3) Wrap your fingers around the fixed bar and get ready to pull back, then pull the top bar forward by curling your thumbs around that, now close your grip and pull.

It's always double the fun if there's a velke.