1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reversing Blade on Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Apr 3, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking about changing the belt routing on my walkbehind edger to make the blade spin backwards. The only time I use my walkbehind is for new clients to get a good edge / small trench so I can maintain with my edge-it. When doing new clients I usually walk backwards to dig the durt out so my edge-it works like it should. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried this.

I was thinking of useing two 8-point edger blades (.200 thick) running the blade backward to dig out the dirt. Obviously you would have to go slow, but what does everyone think?
  2. btbej

btbej LawnSite Member

On new edging account I will run my walk behind edger 2 times forward and then once will walk backwards with it to get the crap out and leave a clean edge. Never thought of reversing the whole thing though....when you try it let me know if it saves time.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My stick edger seems to do a good job on first time edging as well as weekly maintenance.

Its a Stihl 85 and I use the thick blades. Fast N easy.