1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Review of 1st Vistaprint order

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tonygreek, Mar 28, 2005.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

just received my test run of 2,500 5.5"x8.5", 4/4 color postcards. ordered them last monday, and received them today.

overall, the quality is very good, and comparable to the 6"x9" postcards i've ordered in the past from 48hourprint. the colors were rendered correctly, and the card stock is a nice weight. i wanted to order a small, low-cost run to see how they compared. you definitely cannont beat the prices, and vista allows me to avoid my state's sales tax, whereas 48hourprint does not.

my one major complaint is that their website leaves little to be desired. discounts appear and disappear, and some supercede others, so getting a final price leaves one wondering if it's correct or not. also, as an fyi, there's a nice 20% incentive to comlete your order discount that appears in a pop-window if you attempt to bail out of an order. the problem is that i already had a 25% discount, so when i click on the window for the 20%, my original price actually went up :dizzy: .

specific product details also seem to be limited, and to find out one huge answer would have required an email or a phone call. the issue is that they do not offer 4/4 color process work with a glossy finish on BOTH sides. one side is glossy, one side is matte (plain, flat paper stock). i don't recall seeing, nor do i now see, any indication of this on their site. 48hourprint offers it on both sides. not a deal-breaker for me, but a nice to have. the real reason this is a problem is that my file set-up actually had side 1 of my artwork on side 2 of vista's postcard. as it is, the main feature photo of my ad is on the non-glossy side. given that it's just a postcard, i did not take the extra step of making one file "side 1". that's disappointing, and though my fault, could have been avoided if they provided more specific detail than "free glossy coating".

all in all, i'm very happy, just a bit annoyed by some short-sightedness on my part and their's.

2. urbanlandscape

urbanlandscape LawnSite Member

I appreciate your post, since I recently had my logo designed at Designoutpost.com and I've been checking out the printers to have new marketing materials printed up. Vista was on my list to comparison shop, but I was also irked by the ambiguities of their ordering system.
    Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Tony,

Your postcard images were outstanding. I hope you get a lot of new clients this year with them. Thanks for the post.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

thanks, gopher. the phone has been ringing consistently since my similarly designed flyers went out, and the postcards started going out yesterday. the designs have been well received and commented on by every single caller, which is a nice conversational kick-off.
  5. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

What % calll back & actual jobs from the postcards? Thnx