1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Review of my new Kubota ZG227

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Scagmower48, Jun 11, 2009.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Great review! I would love to test one. I have started post in the past trying to figure out why they are not more popular Congrats!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

great info guys! they look like a great mower. when mowing do you try to go full speed or do you try to go as the deck can process the grass? will it bog when you hit really deep grass? and what is the deepest you have cut with it? have you mowed really wet grass yet and had to scrape the deck becuase of it?

it looks like it has alot of wiehgt on the rear wheels do you find it hard not to tear up any grass? or does it seems like it will go on a hill good, have you been on a hill with it?

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I also demod a Kubota 60" with the diesel engine (23hp?).

I was extremely impressed with the cut quality. The clippings were very widely disperesed and did not clump. The wet clutch engages very smoothly and the machine is built like a tank. The machine left a really nice stripe. A striping kit would leave a really striking effect!

The shaft drive also has a host of advantages.

The biggest drawback I found was the stiffness in the hydro controls. I did not like this.

Ive demod Toros, Feris, Exmark...and by far the the directional controls were very stiff compared to these other units. (The Toro was feather lite and very nice!)

4. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

The kubota leaves and acceptable cut at full speed with a few stragglers. I have not cut any deep grass just normal weekly cuts. The mower has not bogged down at at. I have mowed really wet grass the last 2 days and some of the mowing was in the rain. I have not touched the deck yet, maybe casue its new or maybe that 6'' deep deck has to do with something.

5. Scagmower48

The machine has an extra weight on the rear. (Weighs about 40 pounds, I took it off to repaint so I know). This is my first z turn and have not had any problems with ripping turf. The few times that i did happen was because I was careless. I mow a factory with a steep bank that is 3-400 feet long. I brought my Scag on todays route figuring that I would need it but never did. The Kubota did just fine.

6. Scagmower48

Another thing I was wondering is why there are not more Kubota users in CT. There are 5 dealers in CT, so it is not a lack of them. These Kubotas are reasonably priced. (7500-8000 dollars for a ZG227). You can't even buy a Scag Tiger Cat for that kind of money, and this machine makes that Scag look like a little toy.

7. Scagmower48

Last week I ckecked the fuel consumption of this machine and it burns 1.25 gallons per hour.

8. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

thats not bad at all! thats probly alot better than most any gas powered mowers of that size

9. taterlawn

taterlawn LawnSite Member

I have a zg227 with a 54 pro too and love it, it is like a rock

10. Scagmower48

How many hours on yours? Any problems?