Review of the Gravely Pro G W/B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

I just finished up the season with the Gravely Pro G 48" W/B. Most of my accounts have a slight to steep incline. This was a rainy season so the grass seemed to stay wet. I cut 30-40 accounts a week.
    For the rating system 1-5, 5 being the best
    Overall performance: 3
    For Design: 5 Gravelys are built like tanks. You could run a tree over with one of these mowers and not put a dent into the body.
    Cutting: 4 I added the extra blades that come with the mulch kit which came to 6 blades total. Made a very clean sharp cut and discharged the grass well in the wettest conditions. Never sharpened the blades once and cut great all season long.
    Engine: 5 15hp Kawasaki. Never had a problem with starting it nor did it bog down on me in thick grass. I have been running Kawasaki engines for 6 years and I have had a lot of faith in them.
    Handling: 3 The Pro G would tend to veer to one side or the other. Handle grips were metal and could take a toll on the hands after while.
    Gear Drive mechanism: 1 Lousy design. Drive belts constantly slipped and would not pull. I had to replace belts every month and one belt cost $50, which adds up quick. This is the biggest complaint I have with the Gravely. If belts got wet they were ruined and your day was over because they would no longer work, I couldn?t even get the mower to drive up on to my trailer.
    Reverse mechanism: 1 terrible. I couldn?t back up over a small curb. I had got stuck several times where the reverse would not work. This machine was not intended to go in reverse.
    Brakes: 3 For the most part the parking brake worked well however when backing the mower off the trailer I had to be careful because the brakes would not hold it while in gear and could easily roll back over me. I tightened the brakes as tight as they could go.
    Wheels: 3 lawn wheels that could easily slip and tear a yard up. May be wise to get the snow tires for better grip.
    Maintenance: 4 Overall low maintenance. Aside from the changing of belts, which was not difficult to do, there was little to no maintenance required.
    Price: 4 $3000 in West Virginia. The cheapest commercial walk behind in the area.
    Overall Opinion: Not too bad for the price however I plan to sell it and buy a hydro. The belt drive was the worst design by gravely. It almost seems like they made it that way so you keep coming back to buy more belts. The mower could hardly make it up the slightest inclines. They should employ cog type drive similar to a Harley Davidson. For anyone looking to buy this mower and has any hills to cut I would pass on this and look at getting a hydro. Stay away from the gear belt driven mowers. For someone that is looking to save some money and has flat land, then this would be a great buy. I had high hopes for Gravely but in the end the drive belts really turned me off to them.
  2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the review! Now you should do a review on the Super walk-behind from Hustler.
    It will cost you more in the beginning, but is well worth it. The biggest expense after paying for it will be the fuel.

Jeff :waving:
  3. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

Thanks. I dont know of any dealers in this area that sell Hustler, now that i think about it I havent even seen one in use around here. The big names around here is Exmark, and Toro. I am going out in Febuary and do some looking. I will try and find a Hustler dealer and check it out.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I've owned a pro-50 for a few years now which is similar to what you're operating.
    as for the belts, why would you buy them from a stealership? just go to an autoparts store and size match them. i paid $9/belt for my machine this year. I only replaced them once mid season, which was the first time i'd replaced them in 2 years. Even in the rain my machine will pull me around on my velke, Perhaps they changed the belt drive system? each wheel is driven by dual belts, is that the way yours is too?

also all belt drives have a slip-reverse, its operator assisted, meaning you have to yank on it if its gotta go uphill.
  5. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

Some one else had mentioned to me that i should try an auto place. I called around other Gravely dealers and got the same price. I couldnt believe $50 for just one belt. It is sorta like duel belt meaning its like two 1-1.5" belts together as one. Thats why they charged me as much as they did, at least thats what the dealer told me. Reverse was still terrible even after i would jerk and pull on it. They need to build some sort of cog type wheel that grabs the belt better, instead its a slick metal that tends to slip any time the belt gets wet or worn down. I do cut on a lot of hills which I guess could add to the wearing down of a belt
  6. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

I also use Gravely and am satifified with mine. I have not had to change the belts in 1 year. My W/B is great going foward, but backward it just isn't going, because it is a reverse assist.

Because the gear drive is complicated getting it into getar, and then out of, I have figured out all of my properties to where I NEVER have to reverse. Thsi has greatly increased my productivity. In the course of 1 day, I may never have to reverse. To get it off of the trailer, I lift the sulky, and then pull on it backwards. This has seemed to work for me.
  7. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

I dont know how much cutting you guys are doing with your gravelys or how many hills you cut. I use it alot on hills. On flat land it works pretty well unless the belts have been worn down. I had to replace drive belts several times just because they would wear down. I would tighten the belts as much as i could even took em off and put belt dressing on but still they would slip. When the belts are brand new, yeah it works excellent but after about a month or so they begin slipping again. I take very good care of my equipment and there is no fault of my own that would cause this slipping. I am glad you guys have had no problems with yours but mine could of been better. Like i said before i plan on getting rid of it.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am glad to hear this review! I am pretty sure that if I decide to buy a wb next season it will be a hydro for sure!
  9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a great mower... might want to check into sharpening the blades more often though, thats the key to making the grass look good! We usually sharpen ours every 3-5 days.
  10. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

someone beat me to it... i cant in my right mind believe that you cut 30 to 40 a week and have never sharpen the blades .... there is noway in he%$ that thos blades are sharp noway no how ........... i change or sharpen at least 2 times a week and maybe more depending on how much mower got used that day