1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Review of the new Super Z stripe kit

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 12, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Thanks for sending me the stripe kit; it does a great striping job...however I have removed it from my mower for safety reasons.

Upon first inspection I wonder how it would do on humps, backing, and uneven ground, in conclusion it is awful on all three. Upon final installation the first problem was the deck would not raise to the top position, the kit and the deck brackets hit each other. While mowing if you are on a hump it bottoms out. If you decide to back up on a hump, well, don’t do it unless you want to plow to ground.

Hills are also a BIG problem. Today I was mowing an uneven area and backed up onto a small hill. Once the back tires went up on the hills the bracket swung forward and functioned like a kickstand…I was stuck. After finally after rocking the mower back and forth I got the mower and about 6-8” of grass out. The stripe kit was now stuck in a forward position under the mowing deck. When trying to get off the lawn I got stuck again and once again when I tried to get from the curb to the trailer. I ended up stuck on the curb going in circles and had to remove the kit there before I could mow again. Thank god no sprinkler heads where in the way.

I also hit a small stump while backing and stopped rather quickly! I suggest recalling these before damage is done to a mower, property, or someone.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for your report and info.
    We have already made some changes to this prototype test kit you are using, and they are in direct response to some reports from you and other testers here on LS.
    I am sure through the prototype testing we will have this stripe kit to a very acceptable level for you in the near future.

3. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Pj, something else, that I can't remember if I emailed you and told you or not. With the design of the current prototype I have noticed it effects my handling and not in a good way. I just felt like my Z was much less responsive and it just felt all wrong. I believe that the handling on a Super Z is second to none and I would like to see a product that doesn't take away that.

Thanks Pj for all the help.
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

bear with me im still trying to get the hang of posting pics.
    here is my chain striper.

5. imograss

6. imograss

here are a few pics of my super z with a chain kit and quikchute