review on the Redmax g3100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnInOrder, Aug 14, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

Ok first off my budget was aroud $200. So i looked at the redmax g3100 chain saw that has 30.9 cc with a 14" bar. ok well after using it for a week it seemed to hold up great. I trimmed everythign from Pine, to oak, Mpale, Mahogany and walsh. a few other types as well.

1. Putting in fuel and chain oil was easy. The caps nevera were tight like the ones on my husky are someitmes to get off. And it runs out of gas way before the chain oil does so it sorta like a saftey mechianism lol. The enigne run time is about 30 minutes continuesly then it runs out of fuel.
    2. Had great power and was light weight. I had no problem climbing a tree with this attached to my saddle. Nice design and i could use it with one hand how it was made to be used without a problem.
    3. The spark plug is very easy to get to as well as the chain tightening system.
    4. Starts great and the choke lever design is like the echos weedwackers except much easyier to pull up and down. Also the primmer button is right next to the choke lever.

1. I liked the idea of a toggle switch for the on/off switch, but i would always hit it with my hand when i was wearing gloves. I made an effort to make sure after i started it no to rubb into it and then it worked fine.
    *Also i did get shocked about 3 times when i tried turning it off and about a half dozen times when i went to shut it foff it doens;t it took a sec to shut off, like it starts to stall then cuts out. I think i am going to call my dealer and have them replace the switch.

All in All for $239 for the saw and a extra Oregpn Chain it was a great buy IMO. If you need a little saw for small project or for climbing which was my case and couldn;t afford to buy a ms200 or 338xp it a decent saw. As i expected from a redmax it alwyas started on the first try. Thanks LawnInOrder
  2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever tried the 3800 Redmax chain saw. It has the 37.2 cc engine. It's currently on sale here in Canada for about $330 Canadian. Seems like a good buy but wasn't sure if it was good or not?
  3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

No i havenlt tried the 3800. I have only used husky saws which are the best in imo. try it and write a review or go with a husky or stihl and know you will be happy and satisfied. LawnInOrder

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a dealer here that sells dolmar and redmax. They like the small redmax saws!