Revised Buisness Ethic

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TURFLORD, Jan 17, 2006.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

One of my core buisness ethics is I won't work for friends,family, or neighbors. I'd rather have their friendship, not their money. A new addendum to this ethic is I will no longer work for customers that also work for me, so to speak. Meaning, I will no longer service the properties of my lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc. I say keep these relationships separate. :cool:

2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you in theory, but not in practicality. A good part of my business comes from business networking, cold calling and finally >>> personal relationships. I approach my personal clients in the same manner as my business networking clients. I separate business from pleasure and make sure everyone knows this is how I feed my family.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, all it takes is one misunderstanding for thing s to go sour. I have a few family friends I work for. I told them that they are the only ones I will do, and im not taking anymore no matter who it is. because before you know it your business is made up of a bunch of "Favor jobs" your still getting paid for it but it's still a favor in a way.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

they pay me and I pay them...how more separate do I want it to be?

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Sounds like a smart move although I do barter w/ lawyers, accountants, etc.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I had a certain lawyer as a client that was alwasy, and I mean always late paying. So I thought about just calling him and suggesting that instead of paying me now and in the future that he just serve as one of my company lawyers....then I thought wait a minute, if he can't even pay his own bills he must not be much of a lawyer :laugh:

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

two of my best accounts are my lawyer and accountant. The one for my accountant I have been maintaining for almost 9 years now

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the "no business with friends/family/neighbor thing" to a point and stick to it as much as possible: meaning, I will not solicit friends / neighbors, etc. However, if they feel comfortable enough to ask for your services and you deny them, which violates the confidence they have expressed in you (that person now feeling belittled, embarrassed, etc.) because then they see their trust is not flowing both ways, then that does considerable harm to the relationship as well so you're screwed any way.

In any relationship (i.e. personal, business, sexual, etc.) the foundation is built on trust. The key to maintaining that trust is effective communication. Communicate your concerns and any respectable person will be respectful. If not, its better that you see their colors anyhow.

Now get off my couch and do your end of our bartering agreement! payup

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not a bad idea. I mow for a real estate agent I used twice but he's an unusually easygoing guy and I have no further plans to buy/sell homes in his area for the foreseable future.

I would add "friends of parents/relatives" to the no-go list. I am not comfortable with working for a person who I would hesitate to cut loose if they became a problem, I wouldn't want to affect their relationship. My mom is always trying to refer neighbors and friends to me, even though I've had plenty of work for years now. She does the same to my brother in his business. Most of them I pass on. He takes on some and says he usually regrets it. While nobody says it, they often expect some sort of price break and priority on your pecking order.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was mowing for my accountant each spring till about mid may and then he would have time to do it himself. His accounting left a bit to be desired, plus he wasn't a CPA. I found a new accountant and he found a new lawn service (another client of his). Knew that was going to happen, but I was willing to risk loosing him over risking the audit I could smell coming with his shaky tax figuring!