Revisiting the egg in the yard

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnnyCuts, Jan 26, 2008.

1. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Saw the thread titled "egg in the yard" where the LCO was throwing a plastic Easter Egg in peoples yards with their biz card and some candy inside. Call me crazy but this idea infatuates me. Especially with the timing of Easter and the start of the mowing season.

My improvement to the idea would be a biz card sized ad or mini flyer lightly folded in half and rolled to fit in the egg and some packaged candy like a Hersheys Kiss. Others on that thread liked grass seed instead of candy. I would have a generic pricing list or some promotion on one side of the insert and wouldn't use the word Easter anywhere:dizzy: Instead of throwing them in the yard I would tape a piece of string to one end and hang them on the doorknob. The eggs sell for $70 per thousand or so.

Sounds like a lot of work and some extra cost but I've gotta believe people will open them and look at the ad. I know a lot of people wont even look at a doorknob hanger out of spite:hammerhead:. I think people will be curious as to what's inside and may even think a neighbor or friend put it there.

What do ya think?

2. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Bump, no one likes the egg?

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

the hanging them on the door idea would be good. just have to make sure they do not come apart or sit in the sun with your hershey kiss in them. I dont think a candy would be a good idea, just in case a child grabs the egg off the door and opens it. then mom or dad comes along to find them eating a candy out of a advertisement. you can put grass seed in there,but what if someone brings it into their home and opens it and the seed spills all over the floor, that wouldnt make them want to hire you! just my .02

4. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

That was my problem with the grass seed also. I'm trying to come up with something else to put in the egg.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

"I think you yard would look better if I was taking care of it, just my two cents" then you put two penny's in the egg.

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Az's idea on a neighborhood and see how it goes. I like his idea. My question about throwing something out on the lawn is, where do you place the egg so it gets picked up by the homeowner? I don't think the middle of the lawn is a good idea. Once a little kid realizes that all the eggs have money in them you are done.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Very creative, I likes.

I wouldn't hang them on the door. One of the main reasons for the "egg" idea is so you can get a lot of them out quickly by just throwing them in the yard.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont know the age of most of you here, " I'm gonna tell off on myself"

when I was a kid, people "mainly supermarkets" would roll there ads up making a sharp point on one end. with tape to hold it all togather then from the bed of a truck they had an air gun mounted that would shoot these missles up into the air and come down sticking into the ground fairly close to someone's front door....

I grew up in Garland a sub of Dallas, now the town has about 120,000 people in it.

I havent seen this done sence I was about 9 to 10 years old...

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It probably created a trash problem and they were told to stop.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I can't even buy lawn darts anymore :dizzy: I don't think that method of add delivery will "fly" so to speak. :laugh: