1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

reward for referels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 10, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, i posted this once before, but now i have actually tried something. what do u think if, after visiting a potential client, u speak with them, give them a written estimate, as well as a little "package". the package will contain a sample of three different programs u offer(fert only, mowing only, full service:all of the above, plus cleanups, trimming, etc) the package will also contain a little info about your experience, insurance , licensing, and employees. it will also give them some tips on hiring a service ex: ask for proof of insurance, licensing, etc. also a price list of other services u offer, and last, a "referel" form. the form states that we appreciate referells, and will pay x amount to u for each customer u refer. i have tried this on my last 5 estimates. what do u think about the referal "reward" program?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Don't offer a payment. Offer a discount off a service or contract. :cool:
  3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I just sent out a list of all the services I provide to all my current customers stating that if they sent any work my way I would give them x % off their next mowing. I offered a higher % if they sent me anyone who signed a seasonal contract with me. Seems to work if people are happy with your work. I have already had people call me for prices even though there is still several feet of snow on the ground. Some of them are possible $100 a week commercial accounts. :D :D
  4. Alan Oncken

Alan Oncken LawnSite Member

In our business we always offer "refer 3, get yours FREE". 3 "paid" referral jobs get the customer a free cleaning (up to $50).

Hope it helps.
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I would not offer cash, but offer a discount off of future services, as Paponte said.

That way, all you are out is your time and operating costs, not cash.

The customer should still be happy.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im gonna differ . ive always just given price breaks etc. but i think the idea of offering money mite motivate some better.
    if its leagal ,and i think it would be . mite be cheaper too.jmo
    u would have to beware, of being scammed tho.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

People refer you anyways if you do good work. I haven't had good luck with extras for referrals. As in, any extra little incentives I've offered didn't seem to make much difference. I seem to get a good amount by just doing what we do.
  8. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

I offer my customers 10% off their mowing contract for the season if a referral they made signs a seasonal contract with me. I then offer the referral the same deal .Let your customers advertise for you.