1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rewarding crews?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Team Gopher, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

In a recent article from Irrigation & Green Industry, author Louise Reilly Sacco suggested that individual crew members distribute door hangers to local neighbors when they have idle time. If a customer signs up as a result of this, you buy the crew lunch.

Have any of you done this? Or do you reward your crews in other ways when they attract new business for the company?
  2. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I pay a motivated crew member $20.00 for every new account that they bring. I have paid them several times this year.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

rewards for the crew?

SURE! which is easy for me to say since I don't have a crew.

but if I did...I'd remind them that their "reward" will come in the form of a check issued by me on saturday afternoon of each week. :eek:

GEO ;)
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats exactly what I do as well
  5. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

We buy our employees lunch every Friday. We take them to a chinese place that we mow anyway so it is not that expensive. We also have season tickets to the Cin Reds which we send to our customers sometimes and use as incentive for our employees. Seems to work well for those that want free baseball games and free lunch.
  6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

rewarding a crew member also keeps them loyal to your company...
  7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Back when i used to work for someone. We would get rewarded with any new customers. Depending on the size of the job it would be anything from movie tickets to hockey/football tickets,,, all the way to 1 nite hotel/dinner deal.
    Lunch is basic and most employers should try and take their crew out once a week....especially when the weather is crappy
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work for a major beverage company, actually a few of them. I cant recall exactly how many t-shirts and hats i have won. One supervisor made the comment on how little i sold one day we had a contest. I said, i work for money, not t-shirts. Moral of the story: GIVE THEM MONEY FOR GETTING YOU ACCOUNTS, unless maybe these accounts pay you with leftover baseball tickets and egg rolls.
  9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a crew, but if I did, I always wanted to start a "Mower of the Month" award. Anyone who shows exceptionally great work, dedication and is on time gets the award. Depending on how big my LCO was, it would probably be an extra $100 per month. just another incentive to think about.