Rewired my 36 scag but what is going on?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wizzard933, Mar 9, 2005.

1. wizzard933

wizzard933 LawnSite Member

O.k i replaced my engine on my scag from a kawasaki fb460v with a kohler cv15 and went ahead and rewired it but now when the kill wire is hooked up the engine wont start and when i disconect it it will start and when i touch the two wires together it kills it with the switch in the on or off position?Checked the switch on my other scag and works.Now the crazy thing is when i disconect the safety off the trans it will start with the two wires connected and shut off also but when i engage the blades it kills the engine.Im thinking the switch under the handle may be the cause but i pulled it off and used a jumper wire and it acts the same.Does anyone here have any suggestions?This is really driving me crazy. :dizzy:

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I am afraid this is one of those things that is best handled "hands-on". Trying to fix this one 'by remote' like this is going to cause more problems than it is worth. I have been doing this for over 25 years and take my word for it. Get some one who knows wiring to do this one. If you can get them a wiring schematic it would be of great help to them. I just do not want to see a thread called "My Scag went up in smoke"

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

LOL... That would be a bummer.

Hey Wizz; I'm not up on the Scag or your engines but check to see if the old engine had to be grounded to run. Some engines require that the ignition winding must be grounded to run and others ground the winding to kill the engine. The safety switches are usually set up in series to accomplish this. Some will be normally open (NO) and some may be normally closed (NC) depending on where/how they're used.

I had a heck of a time tracking a no-crank problem on my Woods. Ended up being the seat switch getting a poor ground.