RGB Blade Grinder Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Nov 10, 2007.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I recently purchased an RBG 3/4 hp. blade grinder with the mulch plate for my hustler mulch blades. The grinders instructions are vague and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Can any of you guys who use one of these grinders explain the proper way to sharpen mulching blades. I can sharpen the regular blades just fine, but on the mulch blades I don't have a clue. It seems as if you can only sharpen the first 2 inches. I don't know? Help a brother out.

Thanks for your help.

Dave...

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand, it's pretty much the same process...

The blade sits on that platform, you slide it through until it can't go no further, watch your fingers and wear ear and eye protection, don't run it in reverse, one back and forth should do the trick, what am I missing?

Here's a pic (or 3):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have that blade grinder but I think the blades he is asking about need those blocks or a special attachment to grind the raised portion of the cutting edges on a mulching blade.

If I am not mistaken the blade he's got has a cutting edge about 2" or so long and then bends upward with a cutting edge which runs about 4" long almost to the center mounting hole.

Nosmo

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a Magna Matic grinder with an attachment block . I think this may be the type of blade coolluv may be talking about.

mag8000-4.jpeg

5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, i have a RBG grinder 1/2 hp and there is an attachment for mulching blades. If my memory is correct I believe it was around 30 dollars. I purchased my grinder from www.mowmore.com Matt

6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Nosmo that is exactly what I'm talking about. Matt thanks for your reply but I already have that attachment but It is very difficult to use. It bolts to the top of the table. I really don't understand how your supposed to sharpen the entire length of the blade.

Like I said the instructions are very,very vague. I guess your only supposed to sharpen the end.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Dave...

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sharpen the flat blade with the rbg. then sharpen the top part with a hand held grinder.I have what you have and its a pain to use.

8. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I only sharpen the outer 3 or 4 inches and just touch up the rest of wavy part every once in a while. The outer part is the only one doing to the true cutting anyway. The rest of the blade is just chopping up the grass that has already been cut.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Dave,
    What did that grinder cost?

10. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

While we're on the subject of grinders, I have the RBG model 1012-C.

I have an issue at times (especially if I'm in a hurry) of rounding the blade ends when passing the blade out of the wheel. Any tips on how I can prevent this or how to restore a rounded out blade tip with this grinder?
    Would the owner's manual help me out with this? I can't find it anyway.