Rhino Lining and the like

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

So I have been fabricating one of those trailer hitch platforms to carry things on rather than having to lift things in and out of the truck beds or haul a trailer around. Similar to ones you've probably have seen, but built to my specs and needs. I'll post pics of the finished product some time.

Anyway I was just going to paint the thing, but figured the damn thing is so heavy and I end up dragging it around more so then lifting and carrying the whole thing around anymore than I have to. So now I debated coating it in a protective type coating like a rhino lining or something similar. My question is, would a protective coating like this be able to withstand the occasional dragging on concrete? Also what is the absolute best protective coating brand out there? At this point I have so many hours of labor and money into this project already that the money to do this is not a factor.

The platform is 42"x72". Expanded steel, tube steel, angle iron. Any idea what it might cost if I took it to a place to get it sprayed? Prep work is all done and ready to be coated. Just a rough idea would be great.

Lastly any thoughts/experiences/comments on the do it yourself brush on kinds? Any idea on what is the best money can buy for this?

Thanx:waving:

2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I know that stuff is expensive. About $600 for the bed of a 6.5 foot truck. I bought a truck this year and used the do it yourself version called herculiner. The stuff is great and cost me $50. A buddy of mine has the linex version on his and said he like the herculiner on mine better, especiall the price. The stuff is tuff. You just need to make sure the surface is clean and scuffed very well to hold the coating. It comes with directions and all the tools and brushes you need to apply it. Hope that helps.:)

3. jglawnmowing

jglawnmowing LawnSite Member

I put the the herculiner in my truck and it has worked pretty well. I have had to touch up a couple of areas due to some sharp edges from stuff I have hauled around. The 2 things I recommend are wear old clothes that you can throw away. Also wear gloves like latex medical gloves. I wore regular work gloves and the herculiner soaked through and I had black hands for about 3 days.

4. tshannon

tshannon LawnSite Member

I don't think you would be disappointed if you spend the money to have it sprayed with bed liner. I drive a ford superduty and recently had the bumper sprayed with a bedliner called ameriguard, and then had it clearcoated. That cost me 200 but I am Salem, VA. A bed sprayed around here would cost 450
    The stuff is extremely tough, durable. Line-X is another local company and they claim to have sprayed four soda cans with the liner, set them up right, and set a small pickup down on them and they didn't crush at all. The good thing for you is there is no prep work needed, like taping off, and wrapping plastic. Good luck.