Rhino Linning

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A+ Lawncare, May 25, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

:) i am about to get rhino lining and i'm wondering on what u guys think about it, ratings please (personal experiences)....

also the total amount u paid for it... i have a 6ft bed, so i guess it'll be less
  2. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I am too lazy to type this again....

LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a harder liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is the only brand with a NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty. Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

Here is a bit of history: First on the scene were epoxy based products. They were not very durable, they cracked, peeled, etc. Then, ONE-part polyurethane products came along. One-part means that the polyurethane is suspended in a solvent. A catalyst is added which starts a chemical reaction that removes the solvent so that you have just polyurethane left. They were a significant improvement over epoxy based products. Examples of today’s one-part polyurethanes include Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, and Speedliner. The newest technology is TWO-part polyurethanes. Two-part means that a resin (usually a polyol resin) is mixed with isocyanate (a hardener) which renders the polyurethane. Two-part polyurethanes are harder and much more durable than one-part polyurethanes. Two-part polys are used on today’s boats, airplanes, etc. Examples of today’s products that have two-part polyurethanes include LINE-X and Rhino.

Most brands just add pigment to color the liner. Pigmented liners will fade. Most LINE-X dealers also use Dupont Nason paint. Nason paint is an automotive paint and will not fade. If you get a color match, be sure they use Nason paint as well as pigment.
    Hope that helps!
  3. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one truck with a Rhino liner and two with Line-X. Love the Line-x....
    The Rhino was higher priced but is softer and easier to damage.
    Get the Line-X!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Is the Line-x liner soft at all? The Rhino liners I have seen and touched had a little "squish" to them, kinda like a rubber bed mat. To me, this is better. I HATE hard slick bedliners, wether they are sprayed on or the plastic insert kind. Everything slides on them cause they are slick as snot. Personally I'd rather just have a good old fashioned Rubber bed mat. Cushions whatever is in the bed and stuff dosn't slide.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Let me know what you will pay A+. I have the same truck and want a lining also...
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

We've used Rhino and Line-X at The News Journal, Rhino wins my vote. You can tell the Line-X is more durable right off the bat, but its hard stuff, doesn't offer the "grip" that Rhino does. As far as price, I have no idea.
  7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have no experience with anything other than Line-X. That experience has been fantastic though.

I had Line-X sprayed on the ramp, floor and 1' up on the walls of my 8 x 20 enclosed trailer almost 5 years ago.

It has endured mower, car and human traffic, granular fertilizer, lime and liquid weed control product spills, gasoline and oil spills, bags of fermenting grass left for days, 100 degree days in summer and freezing cold temperatures in winter as well as harsh detergents from cleaning.

As far as I can see none of the product has worn away. There is no gradual wearing out of the anti skid properties inherent in Line-X. After it's cleaned the color looks the same as the day I had it sprayed on. I consider it the best $1200 I've spent in this business.

I consider it an absolute necessity to have Line-X sprayed on the floors, ramp and walls of any enclosed trailer I purchase PRIOR to any use.

Line-X has me COMPLETELY satisfied as a customer. I will be using Line-X inside every trailer and truck bed I purchase.
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am going to get my enclosed trailer sprayed after I replace the 1/4" laun with some 1/2" or 5/8" plywood. I love line-X, but a loader bucket is no match or a very sharp shovel with loading or unloading a pickup full of mulch or dirt. I have had my tail gate resparyed twice. Free of course. :)