Rhizomatous Tall Fescue?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fescue Farmer, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

"Rhizomatous Tall Fescue (RTF™) is a new type of tall fescue, which produces rhizomes. A rhizome is a creeping stem or runner that extends outward from the main plant underground. The rhizome will send a shoot up to the soil surface while extending new roots downward, forming a new plant. RTF behaves like a bluegrass, but like any other fescue it will survive the transition zone. The only seed you'll ever need!" :eek:

- a quote from the RTF website: www.aboutrtf.com

Curious about this product - has anybody tried their seed or sod?
    Sounds like a "too good to be true" product.

Also sounds like it could end overseeding.........at first that sounds bad..........but progressive technology doesn't necessarily mean the loss of jobs or services; technology often creates new jobs and services that never would have existed otherwise.........................

Would like to hear some pros and cons about this product.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I just recently read about it at www.superiorsod.com

I would like to get some and do my own yard with it. I hate to overseed anyways :dizzy: Self repairing fescue would be great in residential lawns and light traffic commercial areas. I have a few clients who have tried to grow zoysia, and I hate treating and mowing those two lawns. RTF would be a great option to totally renovate these lawns.
  3. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely like the idea of a tall fescue that can repair it's own thin spots, etc. It would be great to have a turf type with that ability to use in my area (southern end of transition zone) as it is quite common for fescue lawns to thin out around here and next thing you know weeds have taken over the entire lawn.

I also talked with the people from scots about their thermal blue seed and they have assured me that it will survive my region as well, along with being able to repair and replenish itself to a good degree.

Almost makes me wonder what a mix of the two would provide here in my area. I might have some experimenting to do. Thanks for the link Fescue Farmer...definitely can't hurt to give the stuff a try.

have a good one

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

The where to buy link says the Home depot here has this seed, I have 3-4 lawns to seed next week, Im going to try it on a couple lawns.
  5. impactlandscaping

Yeah, it says HD in Pittsburgh has it too. I am going up next week, so I will get some to do a test with in my lawn.App rate is 5-10 per1K, and it's no more expensive than what I currently pay for fescue blends.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

The only stores in my area are KMart's. I would hate to see the price on this stuff. The local Kmart closes down it's few garden isles way before fall seeding. I guess I'll wait untill spring to find out how much this stuff cost. I will probably try it on my lawn though.
  7. impactlandscaping

Soupy, you can buy it directly from Hummert Supply on the "where to buy" page. 10# bag is $17.90 + shipping. I hate our Kmarts here, they all suck. I can't wait for the new Target to open in the spring.

Whattya know, I just became an addict.. ;)
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

That is double what I pay for Fescue at Lesco, but it's worth a try.
  9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

you all must have better sources for buying seed than I have (no lesco around here).

10 #'s of millenium fescue goes for $16 here, even after a 30% discount, so the RTF isn't enough higher to matter really in my neck of the woods.

If I wasn't afraid the temperatures would drop I'd pick some up and try it out
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest