rhododendron removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kemmer, Mar 16, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

A customer asked me to remove a couple of larger rhododendrons from their property along with some small evergreens. about 5-6 bushes total. I am wondering how hard it is to remove these. Are the root systems big? or could we cut them back and use pic axes to get them out, or should we rent a tractor w/ a backhoe attachment to get them out?
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

well the roots are not huge but they are good size. when we took them out we cut it down so theres just the main trunk(or what ever you want to call it) and dig around it and then pull it out with the truck or if you got a good size tractor. just to warn you dot be on the lawn when you go to pull you will rip up turf and be careful use a chain not rope and watch out wen it comes out so it doesn't come out and hit you

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you're in North Jersey, a shovel and an axe will work just fine.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Are they native rhodees? I investigate a bid up in somerset county with native rhodees in the backyard. I could walk under their canopy thats how big they were. Absolutely beasutiful in my opinion, anyhow...

If they have been maintained and aren't 15-20 years old you should be able to dig around them and pop it out with some breaker bars. Otherwise some excessive force could be required.

What kind of evergreens? I ran into a situation with a yew removal...darn thing had a freakin trunk that had to be a foot in diameter. I wasn't digging that evergreen out with an axe and shovel.
  5. kemmer

I am in northern NJ lol bergen county
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

You sholdnt have a problem at all with em, you have your 3/4 Ton Truck, jus do like zim bob said, cut em down but leave enough stem off the root so you can get a chain around it and yank it out. I absolutely recommend a chain, anything else will snap, tried it all before. Just dig around where the roots are loosin up the dirt so its a bit easier to pull.

Good Luck.

7. kemmer

even tow straps? like bigg tow straps?
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Tow straps you might be able to use, but the problem with anything like that when your trying to pull a car...a car wont resist as much hopefully it should roll along....a stump with roots in the ground won't be as helpful making the strap strech....thats why I say use a chain....its the best way, but you can always try a heavy duty tow strap.

LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN

USE YOUR BACK:usflag: