Rich Convertible

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheMom, Oct 1, 2003.

1. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Anyone have *recent* experience with this brand of mower? We're looking to upgrade next year from our JD 318 (and about time, too).

Thanks for your info.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Go to search and put in-----convertible mower-----.
    John

3. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Thank you, John, I've done that. And that's the reason for the request for recent experience. The new model I've seen didn't look all that bad to me, the only issue I can see is maybe being able to look over the folded-down seat in WB mode (I'm 5'2").

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Well i'm 510" and i will try out one this coming week, It will not be on a lawn but this late in the year it will be at the dealers. I don't think it will be to much of a biggie being 53". i'll try and see.
    John

5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

If your only 5' 2" you may have a problem seeing over the seat. I'm 6' and don't have any problems. I have a 48" and wish I had a larger deck, but other than that, I am very pleased. I have a 2000 model year and have had no problems. I have ~200 hrs on it.

6. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Did you buy yours new, dmc456?

As for the personal height thing, I may have a solution. When we were kids, did you ever get up on juice cans to make yourself taller? ;)

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people should be kept away from the TV. ;)

8. CSRA Landscaping

DMC, what type of work are you doing primarily (res., commercial)? Do you have a lot of hills to deal with? Any that approach 20-30º? Undulating terrain, etc? What type of upkeep program do you have on that convertible? Are you happy with the results that you get from it? What would you say that it's comparable with?

Sorry about the third degree, just want to get all the info we can. ;)

9. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 20 clients and 30% of them have fall away lots with pretty good hills. I do this on the side but I'm looking to start hiring in the spring. Some hills are as steep at 45-50 degress.

I purchased my unit 1 yr old from someone who had 3 of them for his mowing buisness. He was a high school kid and was selling his stuff because he just started college and needed the money since he didn't have time to work anymore.

I mow in the ZTR mode 95% of the time. If I can go up and down the hills and it starts to flatten out at the bottom, I ride. Otherwise I walk across the slope.

I'm very pleased with my the Convertible and will probably be getting another in the spring. It is a great machine with lots of power. There aren't too many 48" walk behind with a 20HP Kohler on them. It will cut through anyting. The ZTR mode is great because it is so compact and short that it turns much like a Stander.

I'm also big fan of the Wright Stander, but I would have to also have a walk behind as well.

These units are great for residential work. I do mostly lots that are 1/4 - 1/3 of an acre. It will mow at 8.5 mph with the best of them.

David;) ;)

10. CSRA Landscaping

:eek: If you're doing 45-50º slopes, you're more of a man than I am! Thanks for your reply, sounds like a good machine.