Rich Dad Poor Dad

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by newbomb, Feb 20, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

About a year ago I read a book by Robert Kiyosaki called "Rich Dad Poor Dad". It's basically about growing wealth and living happier. I started to reread the passages I had highlighted the first time today. I will be going out on my own as a solo operator this year and I found it very motivational to reread his views on wealth and independence. There is much good general advice on growing wealth and making time to live and be happy. He is very much of the opinion that wealth and freedom are built by enteprenuers and not time clock punchers. He also offers his opinions on what it takes to be a success in business and why so many fail.

I was wondering who here is familiar with this book? If so how do you apply his ideas to this business?

-Paul

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would watch what you read, my ex-boss grew his business (car parts)from 4 people to 35 people in 5 years, $8000.00 in sales the first year to 10mil last year, is he happy, heck no, he is into watching the Apprentice and trying to apply TV to reality, his wife is busy watching Desperate Housewives.

Would I trade my life for his, Hell no!

Go with your heart and you will succeed! :D

3. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I find that money does make me happy. If you agree with me I'm sure that you'll find Kiyosaki refreshing. My wife and I are currently enrolled in the Rich Dad coaching program to assist us in building our businesses and real estate. Being a former Marine I loved his no B.S. approach in the subject of money. As you advance through his books you will find out more about his cashflow quadrant. His outlooks really helped me to understand what no school can teach you and put my wife and I years ahead of the game.

He also helped to explain alot of business and personal financial terms like earned, passive, and portfolio income. Taxes and how to legally avoid them. We are buying a BMW this spring and letting our tenants pay for it. Nothing better than that! Turning your earned income into passive income is the key. I know that if you continue to pursue and apply this knowledge you will continually begin to see new opportunities everyday to make you and your business more successful. Best of luck...and God Bless.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here! :D

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Many of the "Rich Dad" books are great. Everyone should read them. Everyone should also put away 5-15% of their income before they pay anyone. I think this is one of the best Rich Dad principles.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I read slot of his books. Their motivational but when you think of it hes really scamming you to buy his next book or seminar. He doesn't say much about his own experience just gives hints to it. Its almost like a triangle pyramid scheme. I think taking classes on small business and accounting and talking to actual retired or currently operating small business owners would be much more valuable.

7. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

no offense to you but Robert is a very well known and respected business man in the business world today.. he made his millons off of realestate and does not need your money through the books he writes.. mater of fact his books and seminars are probably the least profitable of his businesses that he owns today.. I am apart of a business team that reads alot of his books and take and put into pratice what he is trying to get other people to do.. the problem is most people punch a clock and they do not have a way to make his techniques work.. because of that people are weak in thier thinking and unwilling to take a chance and make it work.. yes.. I believe you should becareful in who you listen too and what you read.. cause 95% of the people out there are writing and telling you things off of theores and not what they have learned in real life.. Robert is a VERY creditable source, he is a product of his own lessons in life, and I encourage everyone to read and put into pratice what he writes about in his books.. rich dad/poor dad is an AWESOME book and I would recomend reading that first then cashflow quaduant.. read alittle on his history also.. I think you will be impressed..

8. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

and by the way.. that thing you call a pyramid scheme.. ITS CALLED A JOB!!!!
    corporate america is the biggest pyrimid scheme there is and ever will be.. let me ask you.. what does your employees have to do inorder to make more money than you the owner???

they can't!! you as the owner, will always make more than them, no matter how hard they work and how less you work.. thats a pyrimid scheme

9. centralarlawn

centralarlawn LawnSite Member

I agree 100%. I have not read any of his books that I do not find helpfull in some way.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I want to get his money game for my family, I would love for my kids to learn money management like that teaches