1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rich people are stingy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmow, May 26, 2003.

1. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

My worst customers are the rich ones. They are the pickiest about their lawns, but they want it for the cheapest. One person asked me for a lawn-mowing estimate- I look at the yard, I look at the house, the nice car in the driveway. The lawn is a half acre with a swingset, a mound of trees, etc. I say 40 bucks should do it. The customer says: how about 30, I would feel a lot better about 30. I said: It's funny, the better you feel, the worst I feel. I didn't pick up his house, but the I got his neighbor's house because his neigbhor hates the 30-dollar-quality job next door. Please share your stingiest stories
  2. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

How do you think they got to be that way! (rich) LOL
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

A lot of the multi-millionaires I have worked with have screwed me for monies owed. Hardly ever have that problem with the regular every day people I deal with.
  4. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

I am with you simone!!!!!!!!

I think you should refer them to chemlawn they do everything for free. FREE is right up their alley (dirtroad)!!:angry:
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The rich are the CHEAPEST group of people that I have EVER met.

I have met ONE (1) that wasn't cheap.

I am tired of them wanting everything for nothing. :angry: :mad: :realmad: :gunsfirin payup

Don't take the cheap ones. :nono:
  6. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

I have found that there are truly rich people, who are OK, and people trying to be rich, who are stingy & mean. The people trying to be rich often have borrowed up to the hilt and are trying to keep up with the "Jones". They are so determined to "make it" that they treat others as their servants.

I suggest you do one of several things:

1. Be assertive back to them and charge a higher rate as soon as practical.:D

2. Say good bye.:p

3. Keep the status quo so long as the $$ is OK.:rolleyes:

7. Turf Pro Lawn Care

Turf Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had a lady come up to me as I was mowing across the street from her. She asked what I would do her yard for. I told her $25.00 (small yard) she said I can get it done for $15.00. I just told her "I ain't that hungry Lady".

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I did my most marketing by targeting wealthy neighborhoods. Waste of time!! they everything for nothing. $40 to us is like $140 to them. It's just crazy how cheap these people are, Im sure when they go out to their weekly 5 star meal on saturdays they leave exactly 15% tip to. I stick to middle class and older people, I make more money off them and dont have to put up with as much ****.
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you mean! I don't even like going to estimate the larger properties because of it. I don't know how many times I've gone to one of these only to shock the homeowner with my price. They are wealthy or pretending to be and always have a list a mile long of what they want and what they expect. But when it comes to the dollar figure to match their requirements, they about fall over.

About 8 or 9 years ago we went to estimate a large property out of town. The guy had a large home on about 8 acres of land. Only about 4 of which were grassed area. The rest was under a thick tree canopy which required maintenance with a brush cutter on a regular basis. He told us everything that had to be done, what day it had to be serviced on...he wanted everything incorporated in the price. He said "get a price together for me figured in with everything." When we went back armed with the estimate, the look on his face was enough to know we were a mile apart on our prices. He had bragged about being a big, successful contractor in south Florida, but suddenly he was a poor boy looking to save a buck. :) We did not get the property as I knew we wouldn't. He went with a "beginner", a guy on a old MTD.

Our bread & butter has always been the $80-125/month lawns. Middle class people in their 30's-60's in $75-150,000 homes. They work and understand what it is to earn a living. Most don't complain, ask for more than what they are entitled to, or try to beat you out of money. They often give you a little extra for doing little favors, tell you what a good job you are doing, and expect extras to cost extra. I love working for them :cool: I'll take these all day. Ironically those who can less afford to spend money are far more understanding of your need to make money.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This isn't a rich story but, I've been told that "Your're a professional, I can't afford you. Some people seem to think that if you present yourself as a pro and have the equipment etc...that you are out of their price range. At least they're honest. I do have a theory about the rich though. The reason SOME rise above the rest is indeed because of unsavory conduct along the way. Now, the guy who invents something or causes himself to be indeared to the public in some way are two possible exceptions and there are others undoubtably. Mother Teresa could have done the same works but, without the vow of poverty she would not have been recognized for them. Greed has long been a deadly sin.