1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Richdel Valve Repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Sunny Boy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Sunny Boy

Sunny Boy LawnSite Member

I have an older Rain Bird irrigation system with above-ground "jar-head" Richdel 1" valves. One of the valves only works when I open it slightly or loosen the bleed screw. When I do so it leaks water, but I get good pressure. I replaced the diaphram in that valve. Seemed to work for a while, then it went back to the open valve or bleed screw scenario. I am running the other three valves closed. They are functioning, but leaking when opened. Are there O rings and seals that should be replaced in these valves that might solve my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)
  2. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

With above ground valves requiring no digging and all of them leaking, I would cut them out and replace them all. Start with a clean slate.
  3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

new valves.......

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try a repair with an identical valve, which you can find at home centers. Swap the guts and see what happens.
  5. Modern medicine. By the way the way a Texas legend passed away without much fanfare Dr. DeBakey.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

7. Sunny Boy

Sounds like that may be the best way to go. Thanks.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Just shut off the water before:)
  9. Sunny Boy

I was able to get some friendly advice from a local irrigation supply house that is not adverse to dispensing such advice to homeowners without charging for a service call. I switched the solenoid from a working valve and (sure enough) that was the problem. I spent $7.40 for a new solenoid, tightened jar heads, bleed screws, adjusted the flow screw on each valve, and now I'm back in business.:waving:
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Give us the name of the supply house, we'll boycott!