1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ridding grassy weeds among wildflowers??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KenH, Aug 23, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Anyone have any ideas for killing grassy weeds in a wildflower bed?? I have an area on my prop. where I seeded with native Wildflowers. (40' by 20')They are coming up strong, but I have alot of crab. in between. Any suggestrions???? None of the flowers planted were listed on the Fusilade II label. I cant pre em in the spring, as the wflowers drop new seed also. Not sure if I am stuck or not. Thanks
  2. Wild flower----err grass----errr weeds----wild---errr wild---er wild.

Crab grass -----plant---wild flower---err plant---err weed--err plant..

Does that answer your question..... Maybe some mulch might help.
  3. KenH

from CT

Not sure of your point, other than there is no existing spray. The wildflowers are actually native perennials, just started from seed. ie Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Phlox, Daisies, etc. I could definitely differentiate the flowers from the crabgrass.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Ornamec 170 is worth a look. It is labelled for use with wildflowers/established flowers to control annual/perrenial grassy weeds.
  5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I think whay LGF was getting at is that wildflowers=weeds and if you look to spray one you kill them all. This is why I don't like the whole wildflower thing. You dang near have to hand weed to keep them from looking like crap, especially in low moisture times.
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Ken the plants you listed are also listed as perennials that can be purchased in pots.

I don't do the wildflower thing cause there realy are no meadows where I live. We do take the approach of Perennial beds and borders.
  7. KenH

from CT

Harts Seeds has a cool native wildflower mixture, which holds season long blooms(17 diferent types of plants). This is the first year I planted it, and the flowers are pretty amazing, even though they said do not expect flowers the first season. Its not a big area, so the ocasional hand weeding is not a prob., its mainly some crabgrass. The patch is in front of a mason granite wall, and the contrast of the formal stone and wildflower planting looks awesome. I already have 2 inquiries from customers. Seed is not cheap, 30 per lb. or so, but a little goes a long way.
  8. KenH

from CT

BTW, Thanks SWD.