Ridding my lawn of Bermuda

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ArizPestWeed, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a portion of my lawn in Bermuda and I want to kill it off , replace it with something else .

Besides treating with glyphosate , because it will start to come back.

I mean , there's more to it than spraying it , right ??

Thanks

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I'm not understanding your question.

If you kill it.....it's dead. THAT grass won't come back.

3. ArizPestWeed

Is treating it with glyphosate all I need to do ?
    Just once ?
    Then I can reseed ?

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

No, it will take 2-3 applications here and then you may still have the occasional sprig pop up. Here is my method.
    1. Water and fertilize, get it very tall lots of foliage to absorb the glyphos
    2. 2 weeks later spray glyphos, two days later resume water schedule 3 times a week put down 1/2 to 3/4 inch per cycle.
    3. 2 weeks after that another application of glyphos, to any green that pops up. Two days later resume water schedule 3 times a week.
    4. One week later scalp and verticut and fertilize and continue water cycle
    5. Wait 2 more weeks and spray anything green that pops up
    That should do it, I just use 21-0-0 to fertilize. That should exhaust the starches in the root system and any thatch, besides the mechanical removal of thatch with the verti cutter.

5. vencops

from NC

Why not just mix ammonium sulfate into your gly. mix?

It would save you money on water and fertilizer.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No it would not. The whole point of what he is doing is to force the bermuda into growing so it can be killed. What would kill the bermuda in one application is just about illegal in residential areas. I am talking about fumigation with Basamid or Vapam. You cannot apply those products within several hundred feet of structures occupied by people. Gassing the lawn for a one shot kill would mean putting up the whole neighborhood in a Holiday Inn for the week.

7. vencops

from NC

What do you suppose the AS in the gly. mix is for?

8. ArizPestWeed

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

AS is a water conditioner to reduce the interference of hard water and alkalinity with glyphosate. The same effect can be had from proprietary surfactants that contain acidifying and mineral sequestering agents.

10. vencops

from NC

AS will also "trick" a non-feeding plant into thinking it's time to feed, again. I mix it in all my gly. apps., this time of year (for that reason, alone). Yes, it is a hard-water ad-mixture. But, it has the residual efficacy I mention above, as a bonus. I've done tests with and without......using several different water sources.

If you haven't tried it, I'm just making a suggestion.