1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ridding Old Equipment

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I want to know how you guys get rid of Blowers, Trimmers, Mowers, etc. that you no longer use and need? :confused:
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Great question...Ive thought about that before. Im finishing my 5th yr in the biz and the only "old" equip Ive got rid of is an Echo blower and trimmer. I sold them for peanuts to a buddy just getting into the biz. I still have all my other old stuff! Just keep fixing it when needed and going on down the road.
  3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

About 12 years back, I would work part time for a dealer here in Jersey that would take trade ins on his sales. If the equipment ( WB and Zee) were in good shape, it was just pressure washed and sold as is. Other wise it would be stripped and if the deck and frame where in good shape, they got sand basted and painted and new parts added. Sold as better then used.
    The smaller stuff would be stripped and cleaned up and sold as used parts, tho I have a feeling that some where sold as new parts :rolleyes:
  4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Old equipment ? I don't keep mind long enough for it to get old before I sell it. I have a facination with new equipment. :hammerhead:
  5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Small stuff run it till it dies/breaks beyond worth of repair. After that strip it for parts and toss the rest.

21" mowers run till they die or become hazardous I.E. cracked deck, crankshaft, etc. Then recycled

Trucks and Mowers have a 10 year life cycle then either traded in or out to the curb.
  6. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Stick em inthe corner of the barn and use em every once in a while
  7. Mr.mowjangles

Mr.mowjangles LawnSite Member
    from PA

Get a nice big load then take it to the scrapyard and get som cash for it.
  8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Call me and I will come get them. I have a fascination with old stuff.

from LA

SELL, to people that others work for lol..