1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Riddle me this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTO Enterprises, May 22, 2007.

1. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is something I was thinking about while I was working today.

I have 2 large tractors a 2007 John Deere 4120 and a 1980 John Deere 2040. Both are 40+ Hp tractors. The 2040 gets a fuel efficiency of 1.3 gallons per hour. The 4120 gets a fuel efficiency of 1.2 gallons per hour. These machines make me between 125 and 150 per hour and as high as 200 per hour.

My question is why in the heck does my SCAG with a 24 hp brigs only get a fuel efficiency of 1 gallon per hour? Seems like it would use a considerable amount of fuel less. Granted it is gas and the big tractors are diesel.

What do yall think?
  2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

you pretty much answered your own question- a 25 horse diesel will drink about 1/2 gallon per hour. kubota's are the most common, but expensive new and used. how do your tractors make you 125-200 per hour? brushogging, blade work? that's a pretty good rate per hour.
  3. KTO Enterprises

Bush Hogging. grading is only good for about 100 per hour. I do most of my bush hogging ona bid by job basis, and i know how long it takes to do an acre, depending on if its dense growth 2 to 3 inches in diameter or small grass. But If i charge hourly( which a lot of developers lean towards i can only get 100 to 125 before they start to squeal)
  4. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Probably a pretty good answer...I don't know what kind of RPM's the tractors run versus the smaller mowers at WOT, could be higher. My string trimmer sucks down gas at 21.1cc, but my 16hp Kohler only sips it. Difference being 3000 RPM vs. 10000 RPM.
  5. Prime Cut Lawns LLC

Prime Cut Lawns LLC LawnSite Member

I would say it has a lot to do with the RPM's, your running the mower wide open while your working it and the tractors can run at a considerably less RPM. Plus diesel helps a bunch too.
  6. KTO Enterprises

well the tractor has to run at 2400 rpms while the PTO is engaged. IM not sure how many rpms the mowers run at
  7. KTO Enterprises

And this is why I make the green backs bush hogging

A couple of photos of before and after. I hope I attached them correctly.

Attached Files:

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Be happy you have a briggs and can get a gallon an hour out of a 24hp.

That engine has every bit as much power as the other 25hp engines, but burns less fuel.