1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ride on aertators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Jul 23, 2000.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen used ride on aerators for sale. Described as greens aerators. Could these be used on &quot;regular turf&quot;.<br>I have used walk behind units...they wear me out. Have not found a pull behind that would work good with a ZTR.<br>Anyone know of a good pull unit for ZTR?<br>Can the old greens units be used for use on regular lawns?<br>
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the pics on my site of Stone's aearating sulky he made from an old golf course model.<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The aerator sold by Lesco, made by Classen makes a good pull behind for a ZTR or 3 point hitch. It can be see at my site. It's 42&quot; wide and almost built to strong. It has a split axle so you can make turns without tearing up the turf real bad.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have 4 different aerators at our golf course,the greens type are not drum rollers,they are a cam and fork setup and can only be used on greens or similar soil with high sand topdress content and no rocks at all.I have a salsco and a Ryan for the greens/tees/collars.I also have 2 pull behind units for fairways,I think that is what you want,my ryan 6ft er is nice but needs a tractor with at least 25 hp and 4wd or it'll sink outa sight easy in soft areas.I would like to buy one that my Carryall or ZTR could pull,I bet in the 4-5 ft range would be the most you could pull.I heard Classen is working on a 5ft er,not sure though.Has anyone used a bluebird before?,I see one for sale and I couldnt find aftermarket parts in any of my catalogs,so Im staying away until I hear from someone that used one.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We use the Classen 48R turf core plugger behind our Boomer 21D utility tractor. There seems like we are always having a discussion over who gets to aerate. With this setup it is a pleasure to aerate. The aerator came with a tongue attachment so you could use it as a tow-behind if you don't have a 3 pt. hitch.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Parkwest: I agree that aerating with the Classen or Classen/Lesco 48R is a pleasure compared to using a walk behind. I use mine on my John Deere 430 diesel with a 3 point hitch. The one I have also comes with a tongue hitch that hooks up to it to pull it with if needed. I tried the tongue just to see how it would work and if you don't try to make next to a zero turn, it works great towing it also. From what I see on the website, the only difference in the Classen and the Classen sold by Lesco is one is red and the other is Lesco Green.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Guido, what's up with your link? It's not working.<p>Ray
  8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Ray, its working fine for me?? Click on &quot;Guido&quot; in my signature block. I just tried it. Sorry!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Eric ELM<p>I think our tractors are comparable in size. I was all for getting a larger tractor but my sons pointed out the smaller footprint would allow them access to smaller areas. That little utility tractor is impressive. We now have a bush hogging mower for mowing weeds, an auger for fencing and decks, a landscape rake for lawn installation and renovation and we will be building a backhoe attachment for ponds and deep trenching.