Ride on Fert & Squirt

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mkroher, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Hi! Just thought I'd post this and try to grab some opinions. I have an Exmark 48" rider I was thinking about converting to a riding fert & squirt. I would mount a 20 gallon tank on the back, and a JRCO spreader on the front. I would also remove the cutting deck and place the boom sprayer in it's place. So my questions are:

Does anyone have experience with the JRCO spreader?
    Should I forget this idea, and invest the money into a perma-green?

I'm estimating the costs to be around $2000 to convert the rider.

Thanks

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I did what you described to a Skag Turf Runner. I didn't like the JRCO for two reasons: 1. it spins opposite from a Lesco spreader shich I have been following around for almost 17 years and 2. its hard to adjust the pattern.

I switched the JRCO to an electric Lesco spreader. They had them to go on the back of their gators. I love it now. Instead of a boom for the liquid I use two nozzles from a Perma green and a 3 gpm electric pump. It works well.

When the unit dies I will replace it with a perma green. I would have bought one new but I hate throwing away equipment in good running condition.

3. mkroher

Thanks for the reply. I saw that Lesco spreader on their site, but it wasn't very descriptive.

Can you control the speeds? And how is the flap opened? Do they offer a deflector for it?

4. mkroher

Also, what concentration do you run for broadleaf with those spray nozzles and that pump?

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a little Monster Garage to the spreader...I used the electric speed controller from the JRCO so I can adjust the spin rate. I also used the JRCO foot pedal set up and made my own control rod for it. Works like a charm.

I did put the 3rd hole shutoff on it but I haven't had time to put the deflector (from their regular spreader) on yet...

The nozzles have an output of 1gpm each.

6. mkroher