ride-on + foam or GPS ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Mar 16, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I know this is probably a dumb question, but keep in mind I'm computer stupid.:dizzy:

Is there a GPS system (cheap) that does the same job as a foam marking unit showing how far apart my previous pass was? We've used Richway foam markers in the past.

rscvp, Thanks:waving:

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

check out www.dultmeier.com they have one, runs about $2400, depending on what options you choose. enter GPS in the search box. you could hire a few temp workers and have them stand at the end of the swath (thats what i did when i worked for a farmer while in high school).

3. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

I saw some equipment called parallel swathing on the net. Don't remember minimum swath nor price. Searched for this in the past because of our running a ground rig.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I checked into GPS guidence this winter and there are two problems and maybe even more!

1) Current technology is too bulky (takes up a lot of space)
    2) Power sorce - Need a battery
    3) Accuracy - Current GPS is only within about a ft of two unless you are using RTK....then you can get within inches.

You will want to stick with your Richway foamers I think. I use a Richway 4401 on my 3-pt sprayer. It works awesome!

I am adding GPS for speed on my PG, but that is it!

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Larry,
    You could always use a little squirt of aerosol shaving cream to mark your previous swath. LOL! It looks exactly like a golf ball. Get a cheap brand--so it doesn't hang around too long.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

How can we forget??????

7. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

you won't find a civilian GPS or DGPS unit that is affordable. your lucky to have an error of +- 10-15 ft on a good day with most handhelds. even the one on my boat, Furno, is close, but not close enough for what we do.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Boats

I see GPS on farm tractors do a great job, however they are run in country sod fields with no interferences. I also have GPS on my laptop Streets & Trips program. I use it when I go to Miami to find my way. In Miami I lose reliability and often miss turns. I know my Laptop GPS is not the best money can buy. A friend has the top of the line Garmin and has the same results in big cities.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The ag units very acurate. They are within about 12" unless you have RTK, then you are literally within inches.

That is why autosteer works so well! Guys are planting corn with these units and don't even touch the wheel!

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Do you like the Richway foamers? Are they durable? I am thinking about buying another foamer.