ride on for 5k yards?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by georgialawn88, Apr 26, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mostly have 5 k yards. i have some 20k and 15k as well but a lot of 5 k. who uses a ride on for these small of yards and likes it? or is it just to crowded? thanks!

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta think a skid would be the way to go on mostly postage stamp yards. How many 15-20k yards do you have? That's a closer square footage to the majority of my accounts.

3. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on which application your doing. Ride ons are a pain with the small ones. Whip out the hose and spreader for those.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

i only have a few but its because i advertise for the small yards. i want a ride on badly and if i get one ill shoot for bigger yards. i feel like someone beat the actual f*** out of me right now

5. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

I feel ya!

Well you need the equipment if you plan to grow. Make the investment it will pay off soon. We service properties from 2k-300k. So a ride on is a must.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

A ride on and a split tank skid would be ideal in your situation. One nurse skid for the ride on, one for spraying with the hose.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Skip the skid. You can do ride on for 5k sq ft. Get a nimble unit like Z Sprays rackable unit or a PG or a Ground Logic.

Anything less than 5k sq ft you can push spray or backpack and use a push spreader. That way you do not have to wrestle with the immobility of a skid unit. Lets just say I have never owned one, and never will.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Brashers is right. A skid sprayer is the way to go. And a spreader for the dry ap rounds. You should be able to do 2000 sqft per minute with a spreader. 2.5 minutes per 5000 sqft lawn--the paperwork probably takes longer.
    Do a thousand sqft per minute with a skid sprayer.
    And when you do get a ride-on down the road...you can use the skid sprayer to fill up your ride-on. Make some calculations. You just have to deduct whatever weed killer is in the solution, before adding your weed killer to your ride-on tank.

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both, a skid and & a ride-on. It depends on what I am spraying or spreading. 5000 Sq. Ft. Is the normally the cutoff point between the dragging the hose and riding. I would rather drag a hose any day before I push a spreader.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I do small lawns with a push spreader, medium lawns with ride ons and large accounts with the tractor! By the time you unload, set up and struggle to do a small lawn with a ride on, you could have it done & be on your way with hand tools!