1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ride on missing coverage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DLCS, May 9, 2013.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anyone else have trouble with their ride ons missing weeds? I sprayed several acres last weekend with Triplet. Came back today and noticed a few dandelions were missed here and there, almost like the coverage wasn't consistant. I use the stock 1/4 gallon tip(blue one). I checked the nozzle and its clean and looks to be spraying even but its like some weeds get by.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Are you making sure that your over-lap is consistent?

Have you calibrated the machine to make sure you are getting the correct amount of AI down per acre/1000 sq feet?

3. DLCS

Yes over lap is good and I just rechecked the calibration a couple of weeks ago. We sprayed a couple of miles of medians over the weekend, most were just a single pass and it seems every now and then there was dandelions missed in the center of the swath. I know you can't alwasy get them all but man do they really stand out. Almost thinking maybe I should try a larger nozzle, 1/2 gallon instead of the 1/4 gallon?

4. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having issues with clover I will be looking at going to 1/3 tip today if I can find a hypro part number
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Might want to try and go with a bigger nozzle, especially if you don't think you are using enough carrier(water).
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had any issues. I know some guys put on a larger nozzle when hitting an extremely weedy yard. You think about it you probably eradicated over 99% of the weeds. Using spreader sticker might help if you aren't already using it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DLCS

Where do you buy the bigger nozzels?

8. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

FD I am new with my T but Just had a issue with it I think with to much Li 700. But on the same yards I did not kill some clover. I was thinking about going to the 1/3 tips my self.

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have rarely used the larger nozzles, in fact when spot treating in the summer I use the lighter nozzles. I mix the herbicide in the middle of the recommended range with a non-ionic sticker and have had great luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

All the tips in this thread are great. Bigger tips, adjuvants, etc but are you seriously upset about "a few" weeds missed or underperforming on multiple acres?

Oh and you'll never control clover with three way.

Not in my opinion or experience.