ride on or gear drive for one acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by drbandson, Apr 15, 2006.

1. drbandson

drbandson LawnSite Member

I am a home owner who recently put in a lawn on my property. the total area is about one acre to mow.

My question is what type of mower to get , I want to mow it quickly it is very open not many trees.

I am thinking of spending around 3K max and would like to here some opinions from the pros, commercial walk behind with velke or ride on mower from sears or murray or deere
    all comments would be apprciated

View Public Profile
    Send a private message to drbandson
    Find all posts by drbandson
    Add drbandson to Your Buddy List

#2 Yesterday, 12:12 PM
  2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

If you do not mind spending that kind of cash avoid the lawn tractors. Get a Toro t-bar mid-size walk behind and a jungle wheels. If you have open land and won't need to back up much you will even be happy with the belt drive vs. the more expensive hydro.
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

forget, no run from the sears/murray/bolens/yardman. the JD seems to have a fairly good reputation. look for a Hustler dealer and try a mini fasttrak. 17hp 42 inch cut for about $3500, or less. three year warranty, welded frame and deck........ do search and read some of the post for this mower.
  4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I got the 16/42 MFT and it's plenty of power... and FUN too!:clapping:
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A great mower for a home owner is a Lesco. They are alot cheaper than the big names (Scag, Ex-Mark) because they buy direct from the manufacturer. When you guy a Scag, etc., it is made by the factory, who sells it to a distributor, who sells it to a dealer, adding a grand or so each time. They are basically Scag designs, wih the same steel, same bearings, same engine. You can get a walk behind 48" belt drive for around $2500 out the door.