1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ride on platform for mini's

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paver-pusher, Mar 9, 2005.

1. paver-pusher

paver-pusher LawnSite Member

I noticed the bobcat mt platform is hinged so as the back of the machine comes up it won't take you up as high as a fixed platform but do you have the advantage of gaining the extra lift from having your weight on it? And, does anyone dig out for sidewalk and patios with the mini skids? If so, How deep have you dug?
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I have used a skidsteer for sidewalks and patios for the last 5 or 6 years. Can get a little messy if working in clay. Last year I sold my smaller skidsteer and purchased an excavator. I haven't had a chance to use it alot yet, but what I can tell you is they are definitely more accurate and create less mess. I use my dumpy 800 for hauling the dirt to the front of the property, then my skidsteer takes over.

3. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to demo a MT52 next week, for the same purposes. :waving:
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I'm skeptical that I would like the platform but I'm going to try it out on a MT55. My experience with our MT50 is that your usually on uneven ground that I would think would be better suited to walking? Also .... allot of times your in tight spots with those machines and need the extra room the platform takes .... It does say it is a quick release.
    We are trading in our kubota/backhoe for a MT55 plus a backhoe attachment that we will use on a full size machine and also purchasing the smaller hopper .
    Hopefully we can put the deal together in the next few weeks so I'll have real life experience to tell you.
    No problem with our MT50 digging walkways etc in tight spots. ..depth around 20-25cm.

here is a pic of the hopper...anyone ever use one?
  5. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Kris, what type of soil are you digging in up there?
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Clay ...not much rock
  7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The thing that I did not like about the ride on platform from Bobcat is the wheel is so narrow it seems like it would rut rather easy on a somewhat moist lawn and forget about it in muddy conditions probably but I could be wrong.
  8. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

I was just running a Mt52 today for patio excavation in a tight spot. We have red clay here in NC and I was able to scrape 1-2" deep. I was very impressed with the power. The platform does take up space. Didn't notice any major ruts in the wet clay due to the walk behind wheel. I'll pay more attention tomorrow and post.
  9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have a dingo tx425 with the forkster ride on platform.

yes it adds capacity. I'm about 265. With me on the back is adds about 1/2 that to the capacity.

it makes a big difference.

when digging however you will want to get off the platform, as it makes it really front end light.

we love ours. we dug up a 2000sqft concrete pool deck after breaking it up with a jackhammer.

it's a great tool when kept in it's element.

for the small work we do it is much better than a full sized.