Ride-on speader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cenflor, Nov 27, 2000.

1. cenflor

cenflor LawnSite Member

Anybody using the Perma-Green ride-on sprayer speader? We are using lesco power spreaders now and thinking of a change but need some feed back from someone who may already be using them. How much higher is the maintaince (7-9 actual hours per day run time). How small of a lawn is to small for this speader? Most of our account are from 3,000-30,000 sq. ft.. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks M.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I had oen this spring but returned it.

I wasn't totally unhappy with it, I just got something better.

3. cenflor

cenflor LawnSite Member

I,m shopping whats better?

4. cenflor wrote:

>I,m shopping whats better?

A homemade unit based on the mid size walkbehind of your choice.

5. cenflor

cenflor LawnSite Member

A walk-behind ? As in a mower ? Why would this be any better or cheaper ? I need several I,m not going to try making one. Also I,m interested in the option to spray pesticides while appling granular fertilizer. Besides we are walking behind the speaders now another reason why I am looking for info on this "ride-on" spreader or something better.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i got one this spring and it works well for me,i can do most any lawn with it you just have to think about it and use your head.
    anthony

7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a perma-green this Fall. I have only used it about on about 9 acres. So far so good. Takes a little getting used to. I have used it on 5k lawns to Soccer fields.

8. Lazer

Generally the LEAST expensive part of equipment is purchase price.

I did in fact recommend the Perma-Green unit this spring and no less than 5 purchases have been made per my recommendation.

If you're incabable/unwilling to make your own unit, I would recemmend the Perma-Green one if you're primarily doing flat, open areas. Soccor fields for example, they work as good as anything else.

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer Are you saying that the ride on is not well suited for slopes and hills or on smaller broken up areas? My primary customer is a 10-20K residential with some hills.

cenflor- How do you like the Lesco powered units? I would think that they would be too heavy to lift in and out of a truck all day, and that a rack or trailer is a must.

How manuverable is it? Is that rear wheel a caster, or a fixed wheel? How steerable is it? The new ones have Kawasaki engines on them.

10. Lazer

jaclawn,
    I though you already had a Perma-Green. Anyway, their stong suit isn't small, chopped up areas, hills or a lot of manuevering.

I also have 2 power Lesco units. I've never tried to lift one by myself. Can't be too easy. My older Honda one has twin caster wheels (per my fabrication.) My new Kawasaki one still has the single caster wheel. Both are manueverable, but the twin wheels are better by far.