Ride on sprayer vs truck tank mounted.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by asjgabries, Jan 21, 2007.

1. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

What is the best set up to use for lawns from half acre to 2 acres. Ride on fert and spray or walk fert then come back and spray with hose from truck? Quickest? Cost effective? Spot spraying?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Permagreen. You can Spread and spray at the SAME time. why would you want to walk the fert and then have to F around with dragging a hose around a large piece of property? It's a no brainer if you ask me.

3. asjgabries

I was thinking about getting a permagreen. The only think that is holding me back right now is the price. How do you store the extra material? Water tank in the truck and mix in the permagreen or store a tank in the truck with a pre mix?

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 5 gal. gas cans filled w/ water to refill if i have to. i keep my chemicals in my trailer tounge box (locked). lesco is having a sale starting feb. 18 where you don't pay interest for 2 years on financing. thats a pretty good deal. also with the amount of time your making up by having a p.green you can take on more jobs thus making more you more money. So the money you would be "saving" by buying a skid to do your apps would be costing you in the long run. IMO

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

6. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Get a ride on spreader/sprayer if you have enough work to warrent it. Sub contract is another direction to go if you don't. Or buy used equipment to start out. You can buy any size poly tank to go in the back of your truck. We currently use 65 gallon tanks for refilling, but you can opt for smaller or larger depending on your extra room. You can premix the product at the time of fill so you don't have to mix on the job, or just carry water with lines for mixing on the side of a 2.5 gallon jug. Carrying small tanks of water is too much labor to fill and refill. You want to carry enouth water or premix to last for a day or two or more. I personally would not buy a PG, the Z spray is more suited for larger properties. IMO

7. asjgabries

I wouldnt buy one of those z-Sprays. I dont like the way they look and it seems so big. I like the small compact Perma green. I guess it all depends on how much more work I can get. I would rater have the nice equipment and do it right. I was thinging of a perma green and a water tank in the truck bed so I could also use it for watering flowers and things. Are there any benifits of having or using a truck mounted sprayer?

8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

if you are interested in the perm-a-green then contact Ranger. i think he has one for sale.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd just drag a hose. 2 acres is alittle big, but 1 acre or less is nothing. i spray just about everthing, and i do own a PG. the advantage of spraying is you can adjust your fert/weed program to what you want, not what lesco wants you to have. truth is you relly don't need to much N in the spring, so you can adjust the N to what you want, then bump up the Fe to get the greening, add the amount of pre-m to what you want. if you go dry, you need to apply a set amount of product to get the desiable amount of herbicide, which if your going for low N, that cant happen w/o going low on the pre-m (unless you get a 18% N or less which is hard to find in a slow release, best i've found is <5%). i run a 6-0-4 6%Fe and the N is 50% slow release and slipt my pre-m in 2 apps.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A tank, pump and hose sprayer is more flexible. You can do a better weed control job on small properties. You cannnot use a Permagreen to spray between two flower beds 6 feet apart. Even a cheap electric sprayer might work. Then you could use its tank to fill the Permagreen. Add weed killer only for the difference in concentration. If not, you will need a back pack for those tight areas, (and water for the back pack).

Remember the Permagreen doesn't climb stairs and needs a 36 inch gate. on the other hand--not to disagree with myself--you can rig up a short hose and a low pressure hand gun on a Permagreen. Anybody done this--How did it work?